MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abought 2 years back I took my NA MR2 to a transmission to fix a grinding shift problem and change the clucth.. After they fixed the transmission They told me my rack & Pinion was bad "unstable" and recommended I have it fixed. I had no problem with the rack and pinion prior to taking it to the shop anyway when I left the shop I almost crashed just getting out of the driveway the car was almost undriveable at any speed above 50Mph it shook and the steering wheel rattled bad.So I looked at it when I got home for a hour or so and since then it has worked fine.

But now that I am swapping To a turbo should I replace it?? and if so How would I go about doing so??

And how much would it cost??

·
Registered
672 Posts
by your explanation, i would say DEFINATELY!!!!!!!!!!!

but, your description explains that the car was "unsettled" and whatever you did,(driving).. "fixed" it.

i know that suspension/steering, is affected once the car is off the ground.
once you started to drive the car, everything "settled" back into place and therefore, you "had no more problems since then"

but looking into your inner/outer tie rod ends and possible front wheel bearings, could be something to look at replacing since you've already thought about the rack.
if you cannot prove it has failed, why replace it

·
Registered
672 Posts
at a shop, with independent pump/rack, i would say that, your quote is not unreasonible.
check with a couple other places and make sure that, that particular company has more than one "store" otherwise youre just gonna take in the a-s.

ive done toy tundra's for about that price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
400 is cheap.. i've paid 550 for a remanufactured one. and if your not doing it yourself then you're looking at another ~150 for labor, maybe even more...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts