MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
How many board members actually have dedicated race cars?

Talent had the only dedicated MKII race car that I can recall.
The rest of the dedicated race cars, that I am aware of, are MKI ITA cars.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JekylandHyde said:
How many board members actually have dedicated race cars?

The rest of the dedicated race cars, that I am aware of, are MKI ITA cars.
Theres actually a few on here. Some of the poeple who don't frequent the board much have pretty wild setups. I remember seeing a tube frame mk2 on here before..I also consider yours to be a dedicated race car as well.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
I'm with Jeff on this one, in my mind, I would think a dedicated race car is one that is STRICTLY a race car. Towed to the track, leaves the track being towed. Jeff can drive his car on the street if he wanted to, so other than Bill's monster he is building (or built??) I don't think there are any dedicated race cars (maybe Dom's???).

Maybe you should redefine what in your mind is a race car then we can all post pictures of what we find/have.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Swpd, there are bunch of MKI ITA race cars on the board.
They are full cage, wheel-2-wheel, not-street legal race cars.

My hang up is definitely on the word "dedicated" as that to me means
... it is only a race car, hence the use of the word as a modifier.

It took me a few years to shake the stigma that Hyde was a "drag car."
I guess it will take a few more years of convincing people that it is a street car, not a dedicated race car. lol

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
JekylandHyde said:
Why?

How do you define dedicated race car?

I understand your "frustration" with my vague definition for dedicated race cars.

A car equipped with all of the tools for the trade (cages, custom fabrication, safety equipment, non off the shelf performance parts equipped etc etc) street legal or not legal. It seems like cars that are frequently raced a lot (road courses or strict autox) cars still are daily driven but they are usually 2nd 3rd or 4th cars so they don't get driven all of the time but can be.

I've noticed ITA-MR2 has some nice cars, I've seen Bill Strongs car & his fab, there was a fellow from the UK that posted his dedicated track only car months ago, chemvolts was nice, somebody posted a WRC celica in the 3sgte forum which was nice, Deno has a nice car as well. And of course, thanks to your beautifull website & info updates I've seen yours as well (hyde) ;). I do wish people had clear pictures of the work put into the popular japanese race bred mr2's, but usually people just post a magazine article or cover which really doesnt do it for me hehe..

Basically I would like to see links or more information to cars that we usually dont get to see often. Most of the cars posted in the show & shine are small scale hobby cars.. I want to see full blown hobbies!

I like checking out custom fab work!

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Hyde doesn't have a cage :)

What about TEC2RMs car? He has a roll bar, runs low 10s (only MR2 owner to win a national NHRA event!) and drives his car on the street. Is his a dedicated race car?

What about Sergey's 700+ rwhp beast?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
I would think Mike Colon's/HuxRacing and Antonio B's car are dedicated race cars, at least from my POV as I can't imagine them driving them around on the street for "fun"

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Sang said:
I would think Mike Colon's/HuxRacing and Antonio B's car are dedicated race cars, at least from my POV as I can't imagine them driving them around on the street for "fun"
AFAIK, Mike drives MR2 all the time ... I believe he even drives it to work.
I honestly haven't driven Hyde to work in 1.5 years or so, but that is more a concern about theft as I work in a high-stolen car city.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
I'd class a "dedicated" race car as one built for a SINGLE type of racing...and nothing else.

Look at this car for example...

You aren't going to drive that on anything but a drag strip. You can't drift it or auto/x it, you wouldn't even consider driving it down the highway.

But look at most of our cars. You can track it all day, then go drift it in a parking lot and drive it home if you wanted to. I've never seen one, but I bet you could even take an AW11 to a dirt course and have some fun lol.

We have a few "race cars" here, but I've not seen one yet that is "dedicated".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts