MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with a really aggressive alignment setting today since my MR2 is rarely street driven... and WOW. The difference it made was stunning. The front of the car sticks so well that it puts all the other mods I've done in the past to shame.

I'm setting up the car for ES autocross, so the settings reflect that. I need the car to rotate at lower speeds. These settings may make the car a little loose at a high speed road course but I'll find out soon enough :)

We aligned the car with me sitting in it since that is how it will be at the track. My fat ass (150 lbs) changed the camber settings on the left side by about 1/10th of a degree.

Car is a 1995 NA

Front left:
Camber: -3.1 degrees
Caster: +2.4 degrees
Toe: 0.25 degrees OUT

Front right:
Camber: -3.0 degrees
Caster: +2.3 degrees
Toe: 0.25 degrees OUT

Rear left:
Camber: -1.5 degrees
Toe: 0.01 degrees OUT

Rear right:
Camber: -1.5 degrees
Toe: 0.01 degrees OUT

The toe out settings make a huge difference. I took the car up to about 95 mph today to check for high speed stability and it felt fine. I have a huge ST bar up front and the rear stock bar, so before the alignment it had a big tendency towards understeer. Now it feels completely neutral. In the parking lot of the shop I got it to understeer a tiny bit right before the rear wheels lost grip and sent it into oversteer.

I run Kumho V710s on the car in 205/50-15 and 225/50-15.

So... definately the best bang for the buck mod I've done to an MR2. And if anyone is in Phoenix and is reading this... I can hook you up with an alignment for a decent price =)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahwatukee. PM me if you want the name of my alignment guy... he's very good with MR2s/Supras.

The turn in is amazing. I thought it was going to be twitchy and unstable on the freeway with the toe like that but i was pleasantly suprised when it wasn't. It may be the first MR2 ever to wear out the front and rear tires at the same time :eek:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I agree! alignment = best mod for handling given everything is in good working condition. Glad you discovered it. :)

I'm still confused about toe settings.. How much would you say is the maximum recommended for front toe-out? Also, is it total or per side?

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
thats ALOT of front toe out...
If .25 deg is a little less than 1/8 inch total toe - then I am running a little more toe out than this. I am running .07 inches out on each side in front. It is good for auto-x - promotes good turn-in on tight bends. Without a decent amount of toe out in front you tend to understeer like crazy on the tight bends.

I am running a little toe in on the rear, though - about .02 inches in on each side - not much, but some.

I'm running a little less negative camber in front.

I get about 2.9 deg caster on my 93 - I'm surprised you can't get more on the 95 - the front strut tops give you a hair more on the 94-5.

Our settings are similar, though. You are correct about it making a huge difference. After going through several different setting to play around, I have noticed that small changes in alignment make a big difference.

John

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think he's running .25 degrees per side for a .5 degrees total toe out. Which is a little less than 1/4". is that too much?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep I'm running 0.25 degrees per SIDE. So 0.5 degrees total.

Car has adjustible shocks, low mileage springs from another 95 (23k), new strut boots, and new strut tops all around.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
MR2 phatness said:
Yep I'm running 0.25 degrees per SIDE. So 0.5 degrees total.

Car has adjustible shocks, low mileage springs from another 95 (23k), new strut boots, and new strut tops all around.
I think you're well into diminishing returns on your toe out. 1/8" total is probably plenty. Though I don't think you're hurting anything other than tire wear on the street, and maybe a little mid-corner bite. I'd try a little bit less and see if you notice a difference. The rest looks right on target. Are you coming out to the SD tour?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well I for one am really interisted in getting my car aligned by your guy. I live in Las Cruces, NM 88005 but have friends in tucson so traveling is no problem. I plan to street drive my car 2/3 of the time and road race the rest so obviously I dont need as much camber or toe that close to zero. What settings for my 92T would be reccomended as a safe and stable daily driver, but a bit of oversteer at the track? My car understeers badly right now on low speed corners and I really want quicker turn in and a predictable amount of oversteer for road course, and maybe 2-3 auto-x's a year.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TD06TRD said:
Well I for one am really interisted in getting my car aligned by your guy. I live in Las Cruces, NM 88005 but have friends in tucson so traveling is no problem. I plan to street drive my car 2/3 of the time and road race the rest so obviously I dont need as much camber or toe that close to zero. What settings for my 92T would be reccomended as a safe and stable daily driver, but a bit of oversteer at the track? My car understeers badly right now on low speed corners and I really want quicker turn in and a predictable amount of oversteer for road course, and maybe 2-3 auto-x's a year.
My alignment guy is actually in Phoenix... so if you came here you'd have to drive another 2 hrs north west.

does this mods apply to mr2 turbos too?
Yes it does. I wouldn't suggest an alignment as aggresive as mine for a street driven car though. My MR2 only comes out to autocross events now and is usually trailered there ;)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't of had a Mathematics Professor do the conversion for me. I believe it is related to the diameter of the wheel.

This is the formula I've used for everyone of my alignments and I haven't yet been dissappointed in the results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts