MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that it has to be 7 psi or something in oil pressure. About how many quarts in the engine is that? I know that on the dipstick, from low to Full is about a quart. Where I'm getting at is should being short of a quart(a little below low on the dipstick) set the oil light off? Thank you.

-Arjay

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Arjay,

The low oil level light and the low oil pressure light are operated by two different sensors. With my MR2 and my SAAB, the low oil level lights seem to begin to flicker when the level reaches more than 1/2 quart. To find out where yours is, check the cold level when the light just begins to flicker.

Once the light is on steady, the oil level is possibly somewhere between 1/2 to 4 quarts low.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
If the orange oil light is on you are about 1.5-2 quarts short.
If the red oil light is on your oil pressure is below 8 psi, and could be the result of a leak, oil pump failure, or as stated making right hand turns with low oil levels.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So it can be triggered to as much as 1/2 quart? It flickered on a hill then immediately became solid. It was about 1/2 a quart low. I think I must've spun a bearing because I heard weird noises after that. Did I starve it with just 1/2 a quart?

-Arjay

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
There is really no way running 1/2 quart low can cause engine damage. As long as there is enough oil to submerge the pump inlet, you will have full lubrication. 1 1/2 -2 quarts is usually all that is required to maintain full flow

While people often assume that a loss of pressure causes the bearing failure, it is actually more common for the bearing to fail first, and then thatn causes the loss of pressure. Based on your scenario,I suspect thats what happened.

Pumps actually create flow, not pressure. It is the restriction, or resistance to flow that actually creates pressure. If an bearingn (or other component) fails and allows unrestricted flow, there there will be a loss of oil pressure.

bill

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
My engine has been burning oil, and stays between 1/2 qt. over and 1-1/2 qts. under full. I've never had any lights come on, and the engine doesn't seem to be having any problems, even while autocrossing and racing.

Also, when my bearing spun a while back, no warning lights came on, and my oil level was about full.

I don't think the dummy lights are useful for much.

·
Registered
392 Posts
billwot said:
As long as there is enough oil to submerge the pump inlet, you will have full lubrication. 1 1/2 -2 quarts is usually all that is required to maintain full flow
So Billwot ... does that mean with 1.5qts, I can launch the car hard and slam the brakes, and still not have the oil pump starve?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
1BADGT4 said:
So Billwot ... does that mean with 1.5qts, I can launch the car hard and slam the brakes, and still not have the oil pump starve?
Well, I didn't say THAT. But...you probaly could.

Did you actually READ what you quoted?

"As long as there is enough oil to submerge the pump inlet, you will have full lubrication. 1 1/2 -2 quarts is usually all that is required to maintain full flow"

1-1 1/2 quarts WILL usually keep the inlet submerged

Because the suction strainer extends into the bottom of the sump, you probably could probaly even do what you described. Actually, Toyota made them almost idiot proof[/b]. But there will always be owners that even exceed Toyota's standard of "idiot proof".

But if you 1) don't respond to low oil level light, and if 2) you don't know what the dipstick is for, then you deserve what you get, IMO.

Or if you DO realize your oil level is low, and still do as you have described, well...like I said, some owners will even exceed Toyota's standard of idiot proof.

bill

·
Registered
968 Posts
^^^ the '91 oilpan is far from perfect .1 or 1,5 quart will lead to rodknock real quick!
Install a oil pressure gauge and observe it when taking righthand turns while having 3 quarts or less in the engine... !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.