MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive been doing a lot of reserach, and i cant decide what would be a better header.. HME or OBX... I really like the design of OBX, but i dont know if it preforms as well as the HME headers... I would like some input of first hand experience with either... Or if anyone has more information that makes one better than the other.... Thank you guys!

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
The OBX is readily available where as the HME is not produced anymore and if you can find one, they will be used and run around the same price as the OBX sell for new. Actually, I think Aaron (owner of HME), the last time I talked to him, still had one at his shop that he never sold but I am not sure if he still has it or not. Aren't the designs exactly the same?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think the designs are the same.. I think OBX has longer runners... One bad thing for OBX is that the O2 sensor is only reading off of one runner, but the HME has the 02 sensor after the collector.. Im researching cuz i have the HME header, but i have heard some good things about the OBX one..

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
the OBX has a b-pipe. the b-pipe, stock, shrinks to about 1.5 inches. imo, thats what needs to be replaced!

besides... i sent aaron money for flanges a YEAR ago, and havent seen crap to this day. he repeatedly told me he'd send it, and i still havent seen anything. even if he did have an HME header laying around, i wouldnt send him a dime for it.. you'd probably never see it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a HME header, i was wondering if was worth it to switch to the OBX.. i dont have the stock b-pipe anymore cuz of my custom exhaust...

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
*if* you did pickup power, i dont think it would be enough to justify the cost.. it would be marginal, at best.. assuming your custom b-pipe is free flowing and not crunched to death like the stock one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
the OBX has a b-pipe. the b-pipe, stock, shrinks to about 1.5 inches. imo, thats what needs to be replaced!
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the OBX. You say the b-pipe is only 1.5 inches?

The e-bay listing says something like 8-12 hp gain, thats with the provided b-pipe, I would assume. Whats the alternative, have a muffler shop fashion a new one? What size? And why even provide a b-pipe if no ones going to use it.

Oh I have a couple good questions, Why are there so many different ebay sellers selling what looks like the same OBX header, and why does the obx website not even list a header for the MR2 in their product line?

I'm pretty much decided on a 17" Supertrapp muffler to complete the project. No cats as we don't have the problems you guys in CA have. Light and fairly inexpensive without being too loud.

Any issues that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
bluestreak said:
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on the OBX. You say the b-pipe is only 1.5 inches?

The e-bay listing says something like 8-12 hp gain, thats with the provided b-pipe, I would assume. Whats the alternative, have a muffler shop fashion a new one? What size? And why even provide a b-pipe if no ones going to use it.
Tom was saying the stock b-pipe gets that small (it really is ridiculous...), not that the OBX b-pipe does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts