MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first of all I did use the search and did not find a straight-forward answer. My friend just received a jdm 225hp 3sgte drivetrain and I bought the transmission from it to swap out for my transmission with a crunchy 3rd gear synchro.
Here is what I know:
- When one axle was turned by hand, the other axle spun in the same direction
- The transmission has an electronic speedometer drive
- When looking into the differential, there is a bar running through the middle
- There is no VIN number anywhere on the drivetrain to tell if it has an LSD from that

Here is what I would like to know:
- Does this transmission have the improved synchros and LSD, if you can tell by the information I provided?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
IT does indeed have LSD and i would assume the improved syncros as well.
Same way = LSD
opposite = no LSD

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only the cut stubs of the axles are left in the new tranny, can i just use the inner cv joints with my old axles? Where is that write up on the ats joint upgrades?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
you can join the stubs with your inner CV's yes.
Check outt he ATS website for that i remeber seeing it somewhere, or contact ATS.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ramicio said:
dude, spinning the wheels in the air will not tell you if it's lsd. you need a major load to tell if it is or not.

Well the last car i worked on was a 93 with lsd (vin tested as well) and mine was in the air right beside it (91 without). I spin tire and watch it go the other way on mine while i spin his and watch it go the same way. :thumbup

hey Ramicio did you fix your tranny yet?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ramicio said:
i put in a newer one, but this guy is workin on other stuff and taking forever and not answering my calls...
no more 3 speed :p
if you have your new one take apart your old one yourself....its really not hard ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ramicio said:
dude, spinning the wheels in the air will not tell you if it's lsd. you need a major load to tell if it is or not.
dude, I did not say that it meant I have an lsd. If you read my post you will see that I was merely giving information and ASKING if any of that meant that I have an LSD (my mistake if you were directing that statement to weasy2k). One thing I do know is that my friend has a 91 turbo tranny and his wheels spin opposite directions when you spin the axle by hand, and on this tranny the axles spin the same way when you spin them by hand. If that doesn't mean I have an LSD, what does it mean? Is there another way to check without taking the tranny apart (remember I have no VIN # to look at)?
Honestly what I wanted more than anything was the improved synchros, and if the electronic speedo drive indicates that the tranny is new enough that it has such, then I am happy with or without an LSD. I thought I remember the ATS joints being cheaper than $275. I suppose I will do that upgrade later as I doubt my ct20 will be pumping out enough power to cause any real problems with the stock cv joints.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Turbolvr82 said:
dude, I did not say that it meant I have an lsd. If you read my post you will see that I was merely giving information and ASKING if any of that meant that I have an LSD (my mistake if you were directing that statement to weasy2k). One thing I do know is that my friend has a 91 turbo tranny and his wheels spin opposite directions when you spin the axle by hand, and on this tranny the axles spin the same way when you spin them by hand. If that doesn't mean I have an LSD, what does it mean? Is there another way to check without taking the tranny apart (remember I have no VIN # to look at)?
Honestly what I wanted more than anything was the improved synchros, and if the electronic speedo drive indicates that the tranny is new enough that it has such, then I am happy with or without an LSD. I thought I remember the ATS joints being cheaper than $275. I suppose I will do that upgrade later as I doubt my ct20 will be pumping out enough power to cause any real problems with the stock cv joints.

its ok man he was directing that to both of us and i agree that rotating tires same direction is LSD.
you can also test it by putting it in first while in air (with engine running). My tires spin same direction, however if you stop one the other one would keep going, while the LSD one would bog the engine down if you tried to stop the tires from spinning.

THe LSD is importent to handle the power that the engine puts out :thumbsup and looks like you do have LSD. Lucky guy!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You folks are spending too much time doing this.

Jack up the car.
Write down the VIN on the tranny.
Call up a toyota dealer and get the tranny specs.
Done.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
redblues said:
You folks are spending too much time doing this.

Jack up the car.
Write down the VIN on the tranny.
Call up a toyota dealer and get the tranny specs.
Done.
If you read my previous posts, THERE IS NOT A VIN # TO LOOK AT. You should really read the post before you act like you know what is going on. This engine and tranny came from Japan and they do not put the VIN # on the car or drivetrain there.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Turbolvr82 said:
If you read my previous posts, THERE IS NOT A VIN # TO LOOK AT. You should really read the post before you act like you know what is going on.
Chill it there buddy. I give advice. I don't act. Whether you use the advice or not is your perogative. I can easily choose not to give advice. The reason you're not getting as straightforward answer is because there isn't one.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
redblues said:
Chill it there buddy. I give advice. I don't act. Whether you use the advice or not is your perogative. I can easily choose not to give advice. The reason you're not getting as straightforward answer is because there isn't one.
I appreciate you attempting to offer useful advice, but it does help to read my original post so you could have saved your time in offering advice that I already said I couldn't use. I am not claiming that there is a straightforward answer without having a VIN# to check, hence my original statement of "if you can tell by the information I provided?" In that statement I am giving the realization that there may not be a straightforward way to find out. Thanks for trying though.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
park with one rear tire in grass and the other in pavement. try to do a massive launch. if there are tire marks in the pavement, the car is lsd. if you just sit there spinning with the tire in the grass, you do not have lsd.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Turning one wheel, or trying to do burnouts will NOT reliably tell you if you have LSD.

The VIN # will not tell you if you have LSD.

There is no "VIN #" on the tranny

The bar across the middle DOES tell you its LSD!

bill

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
billwot said:
...The bar across the middle DOES tell you its LSD!

bill
Woohoo! That's good to hear. Now I get to have that thing that nobody seems to know if they have!

Edit: My friends 91 turbo tranny and his 91 NA tranny both have the bar running through the diff... I'm confused now.

Edit again: actually we looked today and his turbo tranny DOES NOT have a bar running through it, but his NA tranny definitely does

1 - 20 of 20 Posts