MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, lets say you want to buy a timing belt... which one do you choose?! There are so many of them. Are they all the same? Are they all OEM specs? Would all these parts work on a GEN2 JDM engine?

I need to know because I'm in the midst of getting a JDM gen2 engine and I will need tune up parts for my car and the engine.

This is what I mean when using RockAuto...

Which one do I add into my cart. Same goes for all the other parts that I'm going to need. Like there's ACDELCO, BECK, etc... which ones are you supposed to buy?

Sorry... this is just frustrating me. I've never bought major car parts before. This is my first car :smile:

Any help?

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
I like Gates belts and hoses. I find them far better than others. Though Goodyear makes some pretty awesome hoses.
Beck/Arnley are cheap and pretty good. All belts are pretty much the same... some better than others. But you will still need to change them every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So whatever's in parts category will fit no problem? Even the Mitsuboshi timing belt for the Camry 4cyl? This is what I don't understand... Like I will be needing an o2 sensor and there's one's ranging from $30 to $120. Should I just pick whatever one and call it that?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
i tryed to order parts from rock auto once, it didn't go well. I ordered plug wires for an MR2 manufactured before 1/92, but thats not what I got. The part numbers matched but they were wrong. I emailed them and called them and spoke to a very nice lady and it was found that there was a n error in the manufacturer catalog, I got an apology email form both Rock auto and the part manufacturer, and everything worked out great.

then the next day I got a nasty email from some guy at rock auto that I had never talked to or delt with that said I didn't know what I was talking about and its not their fault i ordered the wrong part, and shouldn't be so stupid as to not make sure of the part # before I ordered.

so I switched to conecelli's at www.partznet.com and haven't looked back. they have been great to me.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I have good experiences with rockauto. How much are factory timing belts? I think TRD used to have a kevlar one. If I have to do mine again, I will probably go with dealer. If price is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^I'm really trying to avoid the "stealership". Yes they have the quality stuff that you need but substitutes are fine for me if they are just as good in quality. Sometimes maybe better. I have a friend who knows someone that works are a Toyota dealership parts desk so I'm going to get in touch with him first to see what he can do. Most likely even with a employee discount, it'll probably be more expensive.

We'll see.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
A lot of times the dealer's stuff is comparable in price or cheaper. Always look there first.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmong337 said:
So whatever's in parts category will fit no problem? Even the Mitsuboshi timing belt for the Camry 4cyl? This is what I don't understand... Like I will be needing an o2 sensor and there's one's ranging from $30 to $120. Should I just pick whatever one and call it that?
I'm still stuck on this... anybody?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts