MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, if I'm putting in Lsd axles do I need to change out the rear hub if it's originally a non turbo Mr2 hub.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Any turbo axles require turbo hubs to be installed on an NA. The parts that make them LSD is in inside the gearbox. That being the stub axle splines and length. Have a search for MR2 axles Bob Pham. He has a great video showing the difference between the two types of turbo axle.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
NA hubs work with ABS but you need NA axles with ABS rings and ABS knuckles.

You have:
NA axles and CVs with NA hubs (ABS or non ABS, both fit)
Turbo LSD inner axle stubs with Turbo axles, CVs and outer turbo stubs with turbo hubs (ABS or non ABS, both fit)
Turbo non LSD inner axle stubs with Turbo axles, CVs and outer turbo stubs with turbo hubs (ABS or non ABS, both fit)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I dont have turbo model hubs my turbo lsd axles wont work correct? So it's a 91 NA chasis that had a 2nd gen 3sgte swap/turbo. My tranny is out so I bought a new one with LSD. I heard you have to have lsd axles. But I'm worried if it wouldn't fit the hub I have on right now. I'm not sure if turbo body styles have different hubs from NA hubs

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not quite. Turbo model axles, LSD or non LSD both need Turbo hubs. It's only the parts the go into the gearbox that are different. The stubs that go into the hubs are the same for both LSD and non LSD axles.

If that swap has an E153 with the short left hand axle and 2 piece right hand axle that has a bracket on the engine block then you already have Turbo hubs. You need different axles to fit the OEM LSD. If it's aftermarket LSD I believe the non LSD axles work.

Yes, the Turbo body had different hubs to the NA but if like above you have those axles then someone has swapped the hubs to Turbo already.

This video shows the LSD vs NON LSD axles for the E153.

These are S54 axles. Note the long one. It uses a 30mm nut on the hub end.

These are E153 axles. Note the 2 piece one. It uses a 32mm nut on the hub end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help brother! I greatly appreciate it! I just recently bought my dream car, but it's turning out to be a little rough. I'm also new to this page. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Do you know how I can tell if it's a E153 Transmission?
Axles will tell you.
Thanks for all your help brother! I greatly appreciate it! I just recently bought my dream car, but it's turning out to be a little rough. I'm also new to this page. Thanks again!
They are old cars now so you never know what have been done or not done to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts