MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 NA
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke one of the 3 studs on catalytic converter flange where it connects to the flex/intermediate pipe. Are these studs threaded into the cat body? My hope is that someone could weld an extension to the broken stud then torch the cat to remove it. Anyone know if this would work?
This is for an N/A fyi.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Exhaust studs are usually knurled and pressed into the flange like a wheel stud. Just beat it out and replace it. If it's really rusted, you'll need to drill it.

If you mess up the knurled section, just get an exhaust shop to tack a stainless bolt on the flange or just use a wrench to back it up.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,373 Posts
You'll probably have to remove the cat assy in order to replace the broken stud. All Toyota cats I've seen, like on MR2s, use threaded studs. You'll need to drill it out, clean up the threads and put a new stud in. Use lots PB blaster the day before on the manifold to cat bolts/nuts and any support bracket bolts.

·
Registered
1991 NA
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm yeah the pressed in studs would be nice but I remember there being cat housing behind the stud. In any case it sounds like a repair is at least possible

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is the remaining stud proud of the flange? I've had really good luck with welding a large nut to the end of a broken bolt to get them out. The welding will also cause the bolt to expand slightly, helping to break up any Corrosion holding it into the threads. You will want to make sure the nut is cold to the touch before you try to get it out. If it's still hot, the weld will break before the rest of the stud comes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts