MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after the accident, my 2 was filled with water everywhere. I replaced the battery and everything in the electrical system worked ok that I could see or hear (stereo system, lights, etc) but when I tried to start the car, it turned over and then made a loud Knocking, banging sort of sound, so I turned it off quickly. Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong? thanks.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
The car hit a fire hydrant

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
take out your plugs wires and check if its moist in there.. if it is.. get a paper towel or something and a long reach plier an stick it down there to get as much moisture out.. i had water flood my valve cover when it was raining once.. forgot to put on rain guard >_< mine idled weird.. so i shut it off and took out the water that filled the columns of the spark plug wells.. luckily no water went down all the way.. i think its quite hard to get water going into the engine tho.. where do you suspect it could have went in? what part of the car was by the hydrant when it came gushing out?? it doesnt neccesarily be the motor.. there could be many things? the starter clutch which is suppose to disengage after it starts.. maybe that could have gotten messed up? im just throwing some guesses trying to help you out.. maybe a pic can help clarify how it was hit or where the water could have gone

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car came to a stop right on top of hydrant, with the hydrant right under the engine bay so water was gushing up and out of the top engine cover vents and flowing out the two side intake vents like a waterfall. If I was not devastated at the time, it would have been an awsome picture. The car is at the body/ fix it shop and they told me they think it is the distributor and they are looking into other things as well, like pulling the engine apart and testing things.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Scott check the oil filler cap if it has a milky film on it....as Siccished said possible rod knock....which means engine rebuild....:(

fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts