MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to buy some shocks, and all the shocks on ebay says that they do not come w/ sealed struts? will i need to locate sealed struts somewhere else? if so, where can i get them, thanks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
To answer your first question, your thread should have been posted here.

http://www.mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Now i'm pretty sure that what the ebay stores are trying to tell you is that the shocks (the cartridge that goes into the strut) doesn't come with those bars. You'll have to re-use your old strut boots. I recommend to buy new ones, since most of them seem to be pretty beat.

Miguel

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
how much are the ebay struts ... I think you should just save up a little more and go for something a little nicer we have some good deals going on in the groubuy forum right now and then there is always the parts swapper forum. remember suspension is going to determine how your car rides make sure it's a name you trust.

·
Premium Member
13,277 Posts
What it is saying is those struts will not work with late '95 models that came with sealed struts from the factory. Unless you have one of the very few MR2s sold with sealed struts you will be just fine.

Blaze-65 said:
how much are the ebay struts ... I think you should just save up a little more and go for something a little nicer we have some good deals going on in the groubuy forum right now and then there is always the parts swapper forum. remember suspension is going to determine how your car rides make sure it's a name you trust.
a little nicer than what? There are tons of Tokico 5-way adjustable struts on ebay for about $390. They are nice and very popular. And your not going to find a better deal.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
WyrmMaster said:
a little nicer than what? There are tons of Tokico 5-way adjustable struts on ebay for about $390. They are nice and very popular. And your not going to find a better deal.
at no point did I see where he said tokico struts and when I hear ebay I automatically think of "greddy type s blow off valves that when you click on the page it's a look alike that is anodized the same color" so I apologize that I assumed the worse and wanted to know the price to see if it was beleivable. but I would give a big :thumbup if he is considering tokico's although I myself will be going with kyb agx's that are around the same price.

·
Premium Member
13,277 Posts
well, I was only saying that because tokicos and kyb's are the only struts I have seen on ebay. I havent seen any knockoffs or wierd cheap never-heard-of-em brand's. I suppose they may be out there though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i cheanged the shocks on my buddys mr2 turbon you dont need to buy new ones but they do go bad so as long as the shock is off and u are already working on the car just go out and buy new ones they only cost bout 20 bucks and it will save you a shyt load of time cuz its really annouing to keep taking off tnhe wheel and doing it over

·
Premium Member
13,277 Posts
sucthizz1 said:
i cheanged the shocks on my buddys mr2 turbon you dont need to buy new ones but they do go bad so as long as the shock is off and u are already working on the car just go out and buy new ones they only cost bout 20 bucks and it will save you a shyt load of time cuz its really annouing to keep taking off tnhe wheel and doing it over
what are you talking about?? The strut boots / bumpers?

Just so everyone understands, those have NOTHING to do with "sealed" vs "non-sealed" struts.

non-sealed struts = you can remove the old strut from the housing and put a new insert in. All US spec MR2s except for some very late model 95's have this type of strut.

sealed strut = you will need a new housing, because the strut is part of the housing and cannot be removed. (atleast thats how I understand it, based on my experience with the non-sealed type).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts