MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for what may be a really stupid question. I can't really find this particular piece online... I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the speedo, but I don't know what the part is called/part number, can anyone help?
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Tire

· Registered
43 Posts
That's your speed sensor which sits in the tranny. From the looks of it, it's electronic (93+ model MR2). It's Toyota part # 8318112050. Hopefully the cog is in good shape so you can just swap over.

What are you trying to fix?

· Registered
2,188 Posts
If you are absolutely desperate to have working speedo, you can buy one of those electric speedo housings like the one pictured, brand new, then you can buy a gear from a 90's camry, still available new, that will not match exactly the speedo ring pitch on the diff but will still work, then you can disassemble your cluster and replace the cable speedo clock with a electric clock from a 95 Avalon, and run a wire from the electric speedo to the clock. You must provision the sensor as well as the clock with power and ground.

I gave the part number for the gear in a separate thread.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
The same VSS housing is used across MANY different models, not just the SW20. But they use different gears, that all fit in the housing.

Click on "what this fits."

· Registered
1991 SW20 Turbo T-Top
92 Posts
What has you wanting to replace it? There are more than a few replacement parts for the sensor. I had to gut my cruise control speed sensor unfortunately, but when I got my car the little gear on the end was completely gone and the sensor itself was completely seized. I was able to get a replacement gear from Prime and disassembled the sensor. Some Rost Off helped to get the shaft free. There's a plastic gear inside that tells the CC sensor how fast you're going, I had to break it off and remove it to free up the shaft. Once I got everything out I threw the shaft in a drill and polished it all up. Threw the whole assembled sensor in a bucket of fresh motor oil overnight and slapped her in the next day, no issues.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, the reason for replacement is it doesn't turn. I was trying to take it off and the cable tore, but I can buy that for around 15 dollars. I'm not sure if the gear is still good or not, I just wanted to check out my options. thanks guys! this is very helpful information.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
well, the reason for replacement is it doesn't turn. I was trying to take it off and the cable tore, but I can buy that for around 15 dollars. I'm not sure if the gear is still good or not, I just wanted to check out my options. thanks guys! this is very helpful information.
I cracked open the case and cleaned out the rust and gunk and resealed it with JB Weld. Works like new but then I replaced it with electronic speed sensor. Money well spent.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cracked open the case and cleaned out the rust and gunk and resealed it with JB Weld. Works like new but then I replaced it with electronic speed sensor. Money well spent.
could you link me to the sensor you got? thanks
and how would that work with the speedo? how do you connect it to the wiring harness?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
could you link me to the sensor you got? thanks
and how would that work with the speedo? how do you connect it to the wiring harness?
eBay
Font Cylinder Gas Auto part Metal

as for wiring harness, you would need to buy a plug pigtail to connect to the speed sensor, there are 3 wires on the plug. One is 12v, Ground and one is-the signal wire. you have to runthe signal wire to the odometer.
is you search on the is forum for “electronic speedometer conversion” there’s a how to with more details.

· Registered
5,320 Posts
Uh... that looks like an NA mechanical sender, and everyone keeps posting unobtanium expensive turbo parts..

The s54 mechanical and electrical sensors are still available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts