MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not about our beloved car, but they do share our beloved motor. There is a mid 80's Collora fastback that is for sale. I wanted to get it for a project car. But never really know how to differentiate of all the models (SR-5, GT-S, etc). Can anyone shed some light for me or provide me with some link or website to go to?
Thanks,
Nick

p.s. and ?NO!? this is not for drifting :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my GTS for $20 bucks. then the insurance money from it paid for my mr2.

click here for more pics after the accident I never took any pics before the accident but it was pretty sweet. I have a dvd player in it. just because the car was so cheap I figured it deserved something for it.

They are lots of fun to drive... I had it to 130 I could only get my two to 125 the other day and I wasn't topping the corrolla out. it had more to give but I don't know how much more.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What you want is an 85/86' Corolla GT-S coupe or hatch. They are easily as much fun to drive as an MR2. The 85/86 GTSs are RWD and, as pointed out, have a 4ag... That means you can also equip them with a 4AGZE or built 4AGTE if you wanted to. Some of them also came with factory LSD I believe. Don't waste your time with any of the other Corollas, they aren't worth it in my opinion... Only the 85/86' GTS... RWD is way more fun than FWD.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
eh, i think the other 85,86 corolla sr-5's are RWD too..they just have like..what is it..the 4afe or something? I think they only have like 100, vs the 4age 115hp or so.
The sr5's are pretty sweet too and have lots of potential...but if its a GTS, go for it.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
MR2 VRI said:
What you want is an 85/86' Corolla GT-S coupe or hatch. They are easily as much fun to drive as an MR2. The 85/86 GTSs are RWD and, as pointed out, have a 4ag... That means you can also equip them with a 4AGZE or built 4AGTE if you wanted to. Some of them also came with factory LSD I believe. Don't waste your time with any of the other Corollas, they aren't worth it in my opinion... Only the 85/86' GTS... RWD is way more fun than FWD.
hey now there mckenzie...... watch what ya say :p i've outrun my fair share of ae86's in my ae92...... and i'm not talking about just in the straights

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
wombat801 said:
eh, i think the other 85,86 corolla sr-5's are RWD too..they just have like..what is it..the 4afe or something? I think they only have like 100, vs the 4age 115hp or so.
The sr5's are pretty sweet too and have lots of potential...but if its a GTS, go for it.
an ae86 sr5 has a 4ac..... maybe 70hp if it's lucky..... SOHC carb..... 88/89 sr5 is FWD, had a 4af (dohc, slave cam).... 90-91 sr5 is FWD, had a 4afe (what my car "is"/was)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input. Now I know what to look for. And the GTS IS the way to go. With 4ag motor, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. But sadly the one I was looking at is an SR5 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
693 Posts
MR2 VRI said:
The RWD GT-S's were made from 1984 to 1987, available in the US from 1985 to 1987. The VIN designation for the GT-S says AE88 in it, the VIN's with AE86 are SR5's which have the 4AC motor, not the 4AGE. It gets confusing because these Corolla's are also known as AE86's, which is the chassis platform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts