MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How different between the late AE92 block and the US spac block?

The only reason I'm asking, is because I need a new engine....
and I have a bigger pully with OEM S/C. did it make a different if I use the AE92.....?

Or OEM US spac block can do the job...?
Also $1500 for a new OEM US spac block
$650 for a new OEM US head ( without any thing, no cam, val, nothing)
Is it a fair $$$$

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Thanks Eric. What have you been up too?

I have been researching this too. I'm looking at getting more power for my mkI with something with a "t" because a small port NA setup isn't enough.

Late AE92 blocks have oil squiter, Higer compression, and Higher volume oil pump too.

As for a "t" setup, I would go with a late AE92 4agze longblock. I perfer the smallport head for better flow, the higher cr for quicker response and needing less PSI, and oil squirter to cool the hot pistons.

If you used the same setup on a late AE92 4agze block, it would make a difference because of higher CR, almost 1.0 higher.

What's wrong with yours now? The only reason I see to completely junk it is oil starvation.

An OEM US spec (or early AE92 spec) can do the job .. A later AE92 would add more power with the same setup!

New OEM short block is $1500 and head is $650 but if you add up all the little new parts you're going to replace too (new oil pump, water pump, gasket and seals, valve guides, new valve springs, etc! A used 4agze setup would be 1/3 the price.

Have you consider a 3sgte? I'm itching to do a smog legal 3sgte in an MKI. I would give you a good deal .. complete setup, fab engine mounts, installation, wiring, fab exhaust system, fab top mount IC and getting a CARB sticker.

Su
510-432-2542

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, I want to stay with S/C and my old AE92 block is not in good condition. It need to rebuild.

But it cost too much, if I rebuild it I want it to be.....a good rebuild....new pistion, everything balance. (maybe my block is not use-able, I don't know)

So, what u think I should do........ :rolleyes:

I might need your help to take the engine out..later...
I'm working now....full time....finish school......nothing much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts