MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few quick questions about the swap. The clip i'm buying (or want to) is complete with everything, but the place where the guy said it was cut is the wire(s) that run up to the front, but from ecu/engine/fuse box (back)/ are all intact. So does the wire bundle that runs from the passenger compartment to the engine bay hook up to a GenII turbo? Or do I need to find a clip that doesn't have that one bundle cut?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clip is the GenII turbo, its a 91 na chassis right now. So are the wire colors/striped the same... I just need to hook them together?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
no not quite but buy a wiring diagram book and its not too bad at all, you could of course just buy a turbo body harness, then it is even easier

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I just put the haness by each other (had the na cut by where it would meet the turbo harness) and then soldered/shrink wraped the wires that matched, and then just prayed it worked.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
hehehe i cant say that i never did the same thing in some areas. connector EA1 under the ecu almost made me kill myself (93 jdm with 94 us harness 91 body harness and the cars a 92 :)) but dont be disheartened if you have a clip it will be much easier i never had a clip so it took me a loong time waiting for parts etc...when i do the gen3 i will get a clip :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
i did my swap over the summer, and i had to splice the wires on my NA to match w/ turbo's already cut harness.

there were few wires that were the same, so it was kinda confusing, but as long as you get the colors to match up, it should start up fine.

one problem i have is that my engine oil light doesn't come on when it needs to. but if you get the wiring diagram, you should be set to go.

do a search under "harness" and you should get some good info.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
JDM engines done have an oil level sensor... probably because *judging from the oil in the clip i used* the japanese dont believe in changing oil...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so if im totally incompetent and impatient I should still be able to do it w/o too much trouble?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
JanglesMR2 said:
so if im totally incompetent and impatient I should still be able to do it w/o too much trouble?
if you're not familiar with swaps and your 'IMPATIENT', i would def. not get this clip if you've gotta figure out the wires and what not.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I have 3 genious friends who are gonna help me... so i'll just leave it to them then :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Critchie said:
no not quite but buy a wiring diagram book and its not too bad at all, you could of course just buy a turbo body harness, then it is even easier
Since i'm totally helpless, could you please tell me where/who to buy one from, and ~cost? Please :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
mr2biker91 said:
Well I had no mech experience at all, didnt know what tools where what:(. But, I took my time followed http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/mr2modproject.htm
like a bible. I thought I was going to have 3-4 people helping me as well, but once the engine came....nobody was there. Good luck though!
If you go to that website, and find the link on the drop down menu that says "Nathan Ho's Engine Swap" you can see the pictures Pat took of my 91 n/a to 93 JDM T swap = )

·
Registered
904 Posts
hey jangles i have a harness i will sell you for $400, has everything you need

1 - 19 of 19 Posts