MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a new ignition switch on the way because the tumbler in my last one was fubar'd.. was wonderin how i could take the steering wheel off cause it looks like ya need to to put it in (havent looked at the wheel much, been busy cleanin the garage to fit the car :smile: )

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Pop the horn pad off, theres one or two screws on the back depending on model year. Loosen nut on steering shaft(don't take it all the way off yet). Try rocking the wheel back and forth while pulling. this will usually get the wheel off. If not, you can borrow a wheel puller from autozone. Getting the remainder of the switch assy swapped out is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle. Not real difficult, but hard to explain the steps. I found that lowering the steering column helped gain access to the column switches etc.. Its held up by a couple of bolts on a cross brace. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, exactly what i needed :) if for no other reason, i want the wheel off for the extra space (not much to begin with) to fiddle, but it does look like i'll need to pull it anyway for what i wanna do.. also, is the wireing diagrams for the stereo on this sight at all? i'm gettin a cd player later this weekend from a buddy and dont want to have it hook it straight to the battery with a kill switch like i did in my honda because i couldnt figure out the wireing, lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, got the ignition assembly, have the wheel off and everything, but i cant get the stupid assembly off of the rack.. i've got it completely disconnected but it wont come off

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, got it all installed.. i took apart half of my interior before i realized that stupid clip, but got it all done.. just in time too ^_^ leavein tomorrow for a car meet and needed my car able to drive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts