MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right forum, couldnt find anything for electrical!

I want to fit a bling push to start engine switch :)

Is it as simple as taking a feed to the starter once you have engaged the ingnition with your key? simple push to make press switch without a latch so it relases after the engine has started? am i on the right tracks?

Regards

Graeme

·
Registered
635 Posts
Havent there been TONS of threads on these start buttons? do a search.
I have been hanging around the Supra forums alot so i may be a little confused.

-nathan.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
What you need to do is pull off the underneath of your dash. Pull off everything you need till you can access the wires running down the steering column. In that large group of wires you'll see about five or six wires that are quite a bit larger. Using a voltmeter, ground your voltmeter to a ground in the car and then test each of those wires till you find the starter wire. You'll know its the starter wire because it will have +12 volts going through it ONLY when you start the car. The other large wires are constant 12 volts, accessory 12 volts, ground, and i think two of them are ignition. Now that you have found this wire, you'll need to cut it, extend it to your "push to start switch", and you should be done.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i have an immobiliser that breaks the starter wire, i know coz i fitted it, so basicall i just need to tap a switched live from my starter switch to the wire before my immobiliser contacts which shouldnt be too hard :)

thanks for the help

Graeme

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
xmk2x said:
after owning an s2000 its not really worth it to install IMO. you will get tired of it after a while.
I would have to agree with this. The cool factor of it would be awesome, but i think that it would be anoying after a while.

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
Is it possible to hook this switch up so that you could use either way to start the car? I mean so you have an option of using the key or the button. That way you could use the button when you want to have the cool factor, but not when your feeling lazy.

-JD

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Why not just put it there for looks in that case. It would be too much work to make it so you could enable it and disable it. I suppose you could add another switch in there somewhere to enable and disable it though. Anything is possible with enough work.

·
Registered
473 Posts
JDSingh said:
Is it possible to hook this switch up so that you could use either way to start the car? I mean so you have an option of using the key or the button. That way you could use the button when you want to have the cool factor, but not when your feeling lazy.

-JD
That is the way I have my set up and more then half the time forget about the button when I start my car so it's more of a show thing then anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts