MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old thread got pretty big! So I am starting another one for the finale of the twin screw project.

I picked up the motor today from the Airport. I had to clear it through customs and all sorts of crap.. It was honestly the biggest PITA I have even gone through in regards to anything that has to do with cars... I kid you not.. It also cost WAY MORE than what was said to the tune of $550 for freight shipping!!!!!!!!! I am down to $10 in my bank account... Stupid Freight company, I am so MAD. But what can I do??? They want the $$$ and they had my motor.

Well It's just money and It's gone.. but what I do know is I have the motor in my garage. :)

I had to go right to school after I dropped off the motor in my garage.. (I am at school now)... And I have school until 5pm tomorrow.

So the plan is to call off work Friday and Saturday to Finish this project (finally).

So the agenda is tonight when I get home from school at about 9:30pm I am going to get the motor unwrapped and onto the stand.

When I get home from school tomorrow at about 5:30pm I am going to fit the SC/piping/ABV/manifold to the motor and cut out the top two tabs for the bracket out of cardboard... So it is ready to go for Friday AM. I will assemble the rest of the motor, so everything will be done except the SC/intake side stuff.

Friday AM:
I have to run the bracket/outlet assembly and the tab cutouts with measurments over to the machine shop at 8AM when they open. Lukily he owes me that part as I have no more $$$$. ;) I am also getting some material taken off one of the bottom tabs and usng a washer on the other side to shim the SC over about 1mm for better pulley alignment.

That stuff should be done by about 10AM... Then I will install the remaining parts on to the motor.

Then the engine goes in, fill up with fluids.... etc ready to go for Saturday.

Saturday:
Ricky B is coming over to do the Nemesis. As mentioned before, we will be street tuning after the install on Saturday.

I will post pics on Saturday.

So stay posted everyone. I can't wait to hear it run :)

BTW for those just tuning in here is the old thread:
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=78126

Marco

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Cool stuff. Cant wait for you to get it done. Once its running and together, I wouldnt mind checking it out sometime since I am also in the bay area. Maybe at a meet or something. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be making it out to the Friday night meets once the car is done (at least the union city ones).

Marco

·
Registered
480 Posts
My rebuilt bigport, the "ancient bluetop" was not considered broken in till around the 2200km mark. Everytime I did an oil change, I cut the oil filter open tp "feel" for shavings. So around that mark the shavings were considerably less....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAMN... nearly everything needed to be modified or re-modified....

-Throttle Cable bracket that was already modified: had to make a new one (no more CC)

-SC outlet piece didnt just need tabs.. You'll see in the pics Tomorrow.

-Had to weld the "TB to Inlet" pipe (the one with the ABV) directly to the inlet.. as new positioning would not allow for it to bolt to anything anymore...and the TB needs to be bolted to something solid.

- The boss knock sensor had no hole or threads taped.. so I had to drill one... then the bit ended up being too big for the tap to work.. So I had to Heli-coil that ____...

Well at least all of the fabricating ____ is done... And I still have a knock sensor (phew...)

Going to the garage right now.. to assemble/install the motor. Should be dome by midnight tonight or so.

Marco

·
Registered
684 Posts
not to be nosey but whatd this entire project cost you?

justin

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alot.

Not done... got the motor in... but the TB to inlet pipe is hitting the engine lid latch.

Won't be running til nest weekend.

·
Registered
684 Posts
so is the engine twin screw or is that like a supercharger?

Justin

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.. well it might be running on monday.

I have crappy luck I sware.

So Ricky and I installed the Nemesis EMS depite not driving it... so we will tune it on monday hopefully (kinda doubt it)... but there are some obstacles in the way...

I went to put coolant in and ..damn leaking like crazy... wtf... so I look around and im like wtf. then I see it.. It was coming from the water pump weep hole.

What the heck.. that water pump was only 950 miles old!!!??! and it was from toyota. and it never saw any overheating.

Maybe the seal dried out from sitting around for like 3.5 months... so yeah here is the rest of the agenda..

Sunday... Home from work at 1:30pm. Pull inlet pipe of SC (hard with the motor in the car), and pull the water pump... then watch the big game.

Monday... Home from work at 1:30pm. Bring pipe to machine shop to be modified (so I can actually close my engine lid ;) while thats getting done get a water pump from toyota and put it in. at 5pm grab the pipe from the machine shop. Install that... Get car ready..

If the car is done then.. Rciky is coming over at 6pm or so on monday to tune this thing.

If the water pump isn't in stock Or it takes until night time to finish.. then tuning will happen later this week.

Sorry it couldnt be done today guys.

marco

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I cant wait to see the results of this, good work staying with the supercharger and not going turbo, i just love the sound of the superchargers.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
sikmr2 said:
I cant wait to see the results of this, good work staying with the supercharger and not going turbo, i just love the sound of the superchargers.
I second that Marco, excellent job and keep up the good work. Can't wait to see everyones reaction of a 200+rwhp supercharged 4agze.

Mr2swift
Ron

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
american_zero said:
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. It will all be worth it in the end though.
If you call that bad luck then I do not know what you would call what I been through. I have been tackling this project for about 2 years now in which I have ruined a few blowers and changed mounting positions on several occasions. Marco just has a few small obstacles in which it sure seems like he is all over what ever comes his way.

Mr2swift
Ron

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Marci you are by far the most dedicated MKI MR2 owner I've ever known haha. AIM me when it's running... and get some video if you would since I can't see it in person anymore!

·
Uniquely Individualistic
2,551 Posts
Cant wait Marco! That twinscrew is gonna sound wicked :evillaugh That supercharger whine is gonna put the fear of Toyota into some of these guys :D

:banana

Anderson

·
Registered
684 Posts
what does a supercharger sound like, im doing a gze swap here soon, just wondering

justin

·
Registered
790 Posts
The supercahrger sounds like someone turned on a vacume if you have a stock setup. With some of the larger pulleys it will whine at higher rpm, such a beautiful noise.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The twinscrew has a whine much louder then our s/c12. People will have no clue as to what he has under the bonnet.

Ron

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hey Marco... remember how the M62 sounded on O's AE86?!

That was the coolest sounding car I've ever heard. If yours sounds like that, take video ASAP :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts