MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

project ae86 3sgte :)

15K views 125 replies 31 participants last post by  David Hawkins 
#1 ·
I just snagged a 1985 corolla hatch. The body is in pretty good shape, no dings or dents. but the previous owner attempted to sand her down... lol not too well. so it kinda looks like a rat-rod at the moment. It has full interior in pretty dang good shape.

I just finished my widebody 5sgte stroked mr2, so now I am back to a new project. as I miss my drift car i had before too. I guess I am too A.D.D to have one type of car lol.

As school is starting back up, and this is a very different build, I am going to be doing a lot of research and take my time. I am looking at getting a gen4 caldina ST215 or ST246.

here is a where she stands right now.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
That is great find bro! that interior is pristine, and the exterior is fooling you, after proper re-sand and then paint that think will look immaculate.

And there was just a Gen 3 w/ W58 transmissoon required for RWD setup on a ae86 for sale couple of weeks back. Pretty cheap too, I think it was in the low 3k's for everything. iirc it was in the 400whp range.
don't know for sure, think it was this http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=433493&highlight=3sgte+rwd

Good luck with the project bro,car will look and be a beast i'm sure.

EDIT: Forgot to add, Here's a video for inspiration! This 86 is one bamf

http://vimeo.com/35206680

#8 · (Edited)
+a million on getting a BT beams... they are so cheap :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS300...s&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfe13775c#ht_10716wt_1026

These are soooo badass!!!

The other thing you have to account for is that all of the transverse mounted gen 3 and later 3sgte engines have angled sumps. You would need to run a really odd angle and some crazy engine mounts just to make it work.

You would IMO save a ton of money buying a BT motor and just turboing it. Plus you get dual VVT-i and you also get titanium valves and the ability to rev really high. Only thing I might suggest doing if you turbo it would be to beef up the rods and pistons...

#10 · (Edited)
Terryv said:
could he not mount the engine mount the engine sideways and use an alltrack transmission to drive the rear wheels

or better yet AWD corolla
Its already rwd. Notice the engine layout

EDIT

NVM I get what youre saying. Mount it transverse and use the all trac tranny so you can go awd.

Only problem is this bay is designed for a north south layout. Lots of custom work and lots of added weight. Hes going for a lightweight drift car. But an awd ae86 would be BA

#11 ·
mwpau- ya I have thought about that motor, but I really want to get around 250-300hp with out having to open her up. and keep the reliability. a stock 4gen can do that easily I just need a bellhousing tranny new pick lines or proper tilt with motor mounts and driveshaft.

munkyfu- thanks ya I am hella excited my self!!!! I just wish I had hella cash to just dump into her quick!

milo101- ya you are totaly right, the body is strait!!! And I have a great body guy that hooks me up, so i just need to decide what I want to do body wise to her! PS thank you so much for that link I Messaged him about the some parts!!

lochow- ya beams are cheap, but so are gen4 about 1000-1600 with tranny etc and I can sell of the tranny etc

#13 ·
A little progress today. I started restoring the rims. So I am sanding down the rough spots, and polishing it out. Then I will sand down the paint, and re-paint them, not sure what color at the moment.

Before <--------------------------------------------------------------------------->after

Everything in between

800 grit sand paper and polishing supplies

#16 · (Edited)
marley4us said:
mwpau- ya I have thought about that motor, but I really want to get around 250-300hp with out having to open her up. and keep the reliability. a stock 4gen can do that easily I just need a bellhousing tranny new pick lines or proper tilt with motor mounts and driveshaft.

munkyfu- thanks ya I am hella excited my self!!!! I just wish I had hella cash to just dump into her quick!

milo101- ya you are totaly right, the body is strait!!! And I have a great body guy that hooks me up, so i just need to decide what I want to do body wise to her! PS thank you so much for that link I Messaged him about the some parts!!

lochow- ya beams are cheap, but so are gen4 about 1000-1600 with tranny etc and I can sell of the tranny etc
Cant sell the tranny to anyone really... they are usually automatic and nobody wants em... On a side note, nobody has seen an ST246 import to the US yet... All of the imported gen 4's so far have been ST215s... Even if you got lucky and found a manual, you cant use it because the front diff is a different gearing than the st185 or st205...

The BT beams is the only one suited to handle a straight up longitudinal mount. The gen 4 will require you to tilt the motor 20 degrees to handle the oil sump tilt.

The big plus here is that you can use the stock beams 6spd transmission...

The price differential for figuring out engine mounts on the gen 4 motor will probably set you back the same as a custom turbo manifold for that BT motor...

Remember, that BT is technically the Gen V motor... its more advanced in every way over the gen 4 or the red top motor...

#17 ·
not true. All the trannys for the gen4 I have looked at are 5 speeds. and the all track community will pay 200-300 for the tranny. I talked with a local importer that got my friends gen4 and he said he can get it for 1300 shipped to me.

So I can sell off the tranny, for 200, so I am only paying 1100 for a gen4. The W58 tranny can be had for dirt cheap out of many different cars in 5 speeds for about 200-300 bucks from a pick a part.

Tilting the motor is not a problem and is easily resolved with motor mounts and the oil sump.

then I just need to order the RWD bell housing and mounter mounts.

I want a stock realiable motor, with around 250-300hp. so if i did the BT, the HP is just not worth it, to me. 200 to the crank for the price, I might as well go 20v for 500 bucks since its so much cheaper, and only 30hp difference.

With a gen4 I can turn the boost up alittle and be be in the 240-270 hp range reliable with no after market EMS, or even have to open up the motor like I would with the BT to even get close.

I have a fully built 5sgte for my mr2. I want to go an easier route with the ae86.

I apprecaite and respect ur opinion for the BT, If I thought I could be happy with 200hp, i would do it in a heart beat, since the the 6 speed would be very nice and its an easier swap. but I know I want at least 240 rear wheel horse power. and the few items it requires to mod the gen4 just seems to make a lot more sense to me.

#19 · (Edited)
marley4us said:
I want a stock realiable motor, with around 250-300hp. so if i did the BT, the HP is just not worth it, to me. 200 to the crank for the price, I might as well go 20v for 500 bucks since its so much cheaper, and only 30hp difference.
What the... you seriously think a 20V 4AGE compares with a BT BEAMS 3S???

I think you underestimate how much effort is required to change a 3SGTE to RWD.
Many have tried and eventually failed due to cooling, oiling and other issues.

Going with a BT BEAMS 3S, even with having to install forged rods & pistons, is going to be easier & more reliable.

Ill just leave this here....

The workshop that built that engine is Australia's top 3S-GTE builder.
The guy who runs the workshop has rallied 3S engines since ~1986 (and won the Aust rally championship a few times), so knows a thing or two about them (they used to be TRD funded).
Even with their vast knowledge in 3S-GTE's, they went straight for a BT BEAMS for this AE86. That should tell you something...

#20 ·
MWpau-
I would appreciate information on such issues as cooling and oil, I am not sure what those issues are as I have not come across any in what I have read so far. Cooling should be very easy? so please elaborate rather then just stating "Many have tried and eventually failed"

... I am not sure where you are getting that idea, I never said the 20v compared to the BT. Please read my statement above more clearly. I said for the price, with HP rating, a 500 dollar 20v making 165hp makes more sense then 1400 dollar BT making 200hp.

And you are skipping over a HUGE part I mentioned earlier. I am NOT opening up a motor and building it for this car. I want stock reliability.

The car above looks amazing, but its a fully built car, with thousands of dollars in it? That is not what I am going for at all. I want a stock motor with 240hp + reliably. Nothing more nothing less.

#23 · (Edited)
marley4us said:
I would appreciate information on such issues as cooling and oil, I am not sure what those issues are as I have not come across any in what I have read so far. Cooling should be very easy? so please elaborate rather then just stating "Many have tried and eventually failed"
Most of the oil problems have come from oil pooling in the head, or custom sumps that dont do the job well enough.
Cooling problems come from having to run the coolant from the back of the head.

... I am not sure where you are getting that idea, I never said the 20v compared to the BT. Please read my statement above more clearly. I said for the price, with HP rating, a 500 dollar 20v making 165hp makes more sense then 1400 dollar BT making 200hp.
So torque & drivability isnt a concern at all?
The 20V 4AGE is a decent engine, but its not close to how good a BT BEAMS is.

And you are skipping over a HUGE part I mentioned earlier. I am NOT opening up a motor and building it for this car. I want stock reliability.
You are talking about changing a ST215 3SGTE to RWD.
So youll need different/custom intake manifold, custom coolant lines, custom engine mounts, will need to remake/modify the engine loom, modify the sump and/or engine xmember, custom flywheel/bellhousing/clutch/starter, etc, etc, etc.
What gearbox are you going to run that will be strong enough? A W58?
The only thing you wont be doing is opening the engine... all this will not get you stock reliability.

Ive seen build logs and talked to quite a few people who have done RWD 3S-GTE conversions. Most of them say 6 months later that the effort and $$s to do it simply wasnt worth it.
One guy i know built quite an amazing RWD 3S-GTE for his RA28. It gave him too many issues over a couple of years so swapped to a NA 1MZ.
Even though the 1MZ has less power, he says the car is MUCH better to drive because of the torque, and smoothness of the engine. Even is track lap times dropped a little.

The car above looks amazing, but its a fully built car, with thousands of dollars in it? That is not what I am going for at all. I want a stock motor with 240hp + reliably. Nothing more nothing less.
Yeah, its a pro drift car, but its a good example.

Oh..... and have you considered a 1UZ?
Itll be cheaper & easier than a 3SGTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.