MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi the lady I bought my car from got a cheap paint job at some place that had no idea what they were doing. So now I have to deal with some problems with my paint. Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with..

If you look closely you will see the paint is actually chipping down to the old paint job. The old paint job was a darker red which I actually like that color better!

I took off my spoiler awhile ago and underneath it was all dark red which leads me to think they didnt take any peices of the car apart when it was painted. :eek:

Anyway here are some more

Is stripping this car down sanding it down and repainting the only thing I can do? The rust spot is the thing that really makes me worry.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
That looks like a Maaco job. The only option you have is to strip it and do it right. The glass is going to have to come out to fix that pillar. I wish i had better news. If you leave any of that crap paint in the equation it is going to peel again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess this will be this summers job :) I have somebody that I work with that has sprayed car before and he said if I prep the car (and i plan on doing it right taking the window stripping out and getting new weather stripping and sandin the thing down) he will spray it. I work at a mechanic shop so I guess I'm pretty lucky. Preping a car isnt to hard right :rolleyes:

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
:lol:,....its not that hard, just really time consuming.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8legs or anybody else that knows anything else about rust. What do you have to say about that last picture? I dont even know if its rust or just bubbly paint but I hope it isnt rust! If it is what do I do before it rusts through!?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Its rust starting. The correct solution is to have the windshield removed, grind to the metal, use a rust converter on the area skim with a good quality putty. If the holes are larger than a pencil eraser youll need someone with a welder to tack the holes shut with a good filler rod and grind. I have a feeling that is just surface. I dont think that has blown through yet. Get on it asap or it will.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
lol, we posted at the same time. I missed a step, the epoxy primer is correct. I do that automatically so sometimes i forget to add that to a write up.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts