MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a mr2, 1991 Mr2 Turbo with a 93 engine and tranny swap, my second one. The car ran fine for a month or two but there was always a boost leak, which turned into a lack of blow-off in between some shifts...compressor surge scares me so i investigated, eventually i ended up attributing this to the TXS blow-off valve that looked like it was hanging on for dear life lol... I bought a USED trust BOV(recirc) to try and fix the problem, it did for a while, but still with a leak, I used the create-a-gasket and it fixed the vaccum leak problem... or so I thought, even now it still lopes liike a v8 ahha eventually shutting itself off around every other complete stop or 1st gear roll, basically whenever the clutch is fully in.

I used a different size hose, a little bit smaller, on the BOV this time, because the stock hose wasnt long enough.... but it is not weak enough to collapse so i didnt figure it would be a problem... But still the same problems are happening, i would say every other day, and it seems to be contigent upon each other, if the blow-off is working , then the car is lopeing at idle and shutting off, if the blow off isnt doing anything, not opening... but the car won't lope... Also, when it is working, it doesnt sound right, something sounds wrong with the BOV...

Another piece of info, my stock boost gauge has been going crazy since i bought the car, saying i am at full boost at 1500 in first, or half boost at idle...typical haha...

Any ideas??? Thanks to everyone in advance for you help and even if you dont know at least you got this far! thanks!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
1)im not familiar with that BOV but i have the ssq which is adjustable. check to see if yours is adjustable and if it is play around with it to see if that makes a difference
2) the stock boost gauge doesnt really tell you anything usefull so dont worry about what it says

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its adjustable, i made it softer last night and it worked for about an hour, woke up this morning and the car had the same problems all over again....

yeah hahaha the stock boost gauge was the dumbest idea ever....you either have boost or have vaccum haha thanks toyota :thumbup

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
i think you are supposed to adjust it as tight as it will go while still letting it blow off...not too tight though. if it is too loose i think you lose boost pressure and im gussing this is how ppl have problems but im not sure because i never have had probs

Y

·
0 Posts
As the car is idling and surging like you are describing, tighten up the adjustment screw on the BOV until the surging stops. Problem solved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yotaman said:
As the car is idling and surging like you are describing, tighten up the adjustment screw on the BOV until the surging stops. Problem solved.
thats the problem,i didnt change the setting at all, and one damn the surging stopped, the next it didnt, it seems whenever the car warms up the surging starts, but cold it doesnt, before fixing the vaccum leak it would actually rev itself about 2k every time i pushed the clutch in after hard accel...

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Why don't you just get an OEM BOV? That will eliminate all of the problems associated with aftermarket BOVs.

bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
billwot said:
Why don't you just get an OEM BOV? That will eliminate all of the problems associated with aftermarket BOVs.

bill
I would love to go back to OEM, if anyone has one for cheap I would love to take it off their hands, unfortunatly the engine came with the broken TXS.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree with bill, go back to stock oem bov. You'll find one eventually. If you just enjoy the bov sound then go with HKS, from my experience it's the best aftermarket bov you can get. Before going back to stock I had the HKS no problems except for slight response delay.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Memphis1321 said:
I would love to go back to OEM, if anyone has one for cheap I would love to take it off their hands, unfortunatly the engine came with the broken TXS.
For every MR2 with an aftermarket BOV, there is an OEM version sitting around somewhere! :)

bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
billwot said:
For every MR2 with an aftermarket BOV, there is an OEM version sitting around somewhere! :)

bill
haha one of the best comments ive heard hahahah

I actually figured it out, I don't know what happened or if it was just sick from its trip over from japandy but the piston was dirty and sticking...took it apart, lubed it, the vaccum leak was because the piston wasnt fully closing and wouldnt open. Thanks for all your help though, thought id say the solution in case someone has any problem. :thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts