MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dent in my front hood that bothers me greatly and has been there since I got the car a year and a half ago. I can post a picture of it later if that would be helpful, but it looks like a tool or other small heavy object was dropped on it. It's a very crisp, small dent, about 1 inch long. The paint is not really messed up, it's just dented.

The problem is that it happened right over some of the reinforcement bracing on the back of the hood, so I can't get to the dent from the backside to work on it from there. What can I do about it? I really can't afford to get a new hood or have it professionally repaired, nor do I want to have just the hood repainted anyway. The whole car needs it so if anything gets professionally repainted it needs to be everything. :)

I do have experience in doing body work, just not on cars. I worked in a fiberglass shop for a couple of years so I am familiar with body filler and such.

Who has words of wisdom for me? Thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well what needs to be done really depends on the size of the dent. One inch is nothing really. You could just grind it down, feather edge the paint and slap some body filler on there. Make it smooth and put on some putty. If the dent is not that deep you can get away with just DAing the spot and putting some putty on there. You are not gonna get away without blending the hood and having it all recoated.
So if you want to paint the whole car all at once then you should just wait till then to fix it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unless you want to be brave and try some of those TV dent pullers but those things don't work. They pull it out a bit but you can still see it. Also will not work on creesed areas. Only pushed in parts.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
1800dent wiz. They can give you the tech in your area.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zspeedcav said:
So if you want to paint the whole car all at once then you should just wait till then to fix it.
That is what I want...it's just not going to happen. :) Takes money which isn't abundant at this time.

I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Or like 8 legs said you can call the dent wiz and see if anyone is around your area that can take it out. That's PDR right 8 legs? Paintless dent repair. I think they charge like 50 a dent or less. Depends on what your dent is like and if they can actually get to it.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
yeah. its PDR...amazing stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If there is one thing I can learn it is PDR work. So much in it if you can do it right. Every shop is looking for a person that knows PDR work. I think I am just gonna shell out the money to take the classes one day.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Many of the good ones in our area are making over 50k a year. It took them better than a year to learn the curve and several years to get to really good. I have seriously thought about it numerous times but painting is really profitable and doesnt allow a whole lot of time to learn the curve.

·
Registered
135 Posts
PDR

PDR will not help in your hood dent removal if there's a brace or some other obstruction blocking direct access to the dent on the backside. I know this firsthand because a guy from Dent Pro came out to see my MR2, which has a small ding in the middle of the passenger side read wheel well. He said that he NOT could repair it because there was another layer of steel inside the wheel well blocking his access. Since there was no paint loss, I went to Kragen and purchased a Ding King kit. After about a dozen times of applying the glue and pulling on the dent, there?s a little improvement. The kit does warn you that paint loss could occur if the area you?re working on section that has been repainted. Since it had the original paint, I went to town on it. No paint loss, but it makes a cracking sound each time the glue releases from the finish. I keep thinking that the next pull will take off a chunk of paint and I?ll be worse off than when I started. :banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts