MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a new HU in my 92T with premium sound, I wired everything up and it all seemed to working okay UNTIL I turned off the car and took the key out of the ignition. The stock sub starting screeching like crazy and didn't stop until the key was all the way out of the ignition. The head unit was already off BTW.
The sub doesn't screech when I turn the car on or put the key in ACC, but it does when I turn the car off or turn the key from ACC to LOCK.

So what could be the problem? Bad ground to the HU? Something wrong with the sub?

·
Registered
352 Posts
i had the same problem that means you blew it all i did wuz take unplug it open the top and pull the plug youll be straight it will still sound alright.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't quite understand, you mean I blew the stock sub?

anyway, I re-grounded the HU and the problem reversed. Now I get a high pitched screech when I turn the car (and HU) on. It goes away if I turn the HU off and then on again. Still sounds like crap though.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I checked the stock wiring and thedPO had spliced in something that they removed but left leads hanging everywhere so I cleaned all that stuff up. But still I get a high-pitched whine sub and all speakers when the HU turns off. I've also noticed that whenever my HU is switching sources (ie. from tuner to CD, etc), I can hear a rather loud hissing sound out of all speakers. I've got my HU grounded to the chassis BTW.

I could really use some help/advice it's damn frustating dropping money on a great deck only to have it sound like crap because of electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
484 Posts
the noise when you switch songs is it hiss or like a messed up garbled funny cd spinning sound through the speakers. if so the deck may be bad (sometimes) or mabe you are picking up some kind of ground loop through the factory amp. there are ground loop isolators available but dont get your hopes up because they dont always work even when the problem is known. they are more or less like a band-aid. it doesnt eliminate problem just covers it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts