MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pt1 : http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=523426

Just found time to finally build my own Dowpipe as i wasnt satisfied with the poor quality of the Prime "Performance"/Berk Dowpipe i recieved from Prime.

Anyway - as i digged out that piece of junk metall Prime calls a US made Downpipe i found another innteresting thing..check this out.. :bsflag:
thats not what germans call a "Performance" part..
measured across i have a gap of incredible 3mm..thats just a joke.

Just to conclude this Downpipe topic with prime for me and the community.Its a shame such parts are called hands down the best DP available.What a lie.

decide for yourself.

·
Hardtop Member
1,020 Posts
To be fair, have you tried to install the dp to see how it fitted? Also, what other dp are you comparing this to and what companies? Im sure there are many German companies making dp for us. While it may not be the prettiest thing in the word, I'm quite certain those little bulges would not interfere that much if at all with flow.

If you have other examples to compare this to then you have a legitimate argument. Right now you are comaparing it to itself and what YOU expect it to be.

Anyways. If you have what it takes to make your own dp why not do that in the first place? Just sayin...

·
Registered
178 Posts
After seeing the pictures of the down pipe in the first thread I am disappointed in the craftsmanship. I've seen better quality in Ebay down pipes (I own a gen 3 Berk down pipe). I wonder how Berk and prime will respond.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts

i wasnt satisfied with the poor quality of the Prime "Performance"/Berk Dowpipe i recieved from Prime
I can't believe we are seeing a continuation thread after the first part of this thread was closed by the moderators.

Please note - We DID NOT sell Daemonslayer any Gen4 parts. We actually refused his request to order one, because we are well aware of his unattainable standards for performance parts

He somehow got someone to purchase it for him and forward it to Germany.

We've sold 119 downpipes to date with not 1 negative comment or concern. Let me say it again - Not a single complaint to date.

Our downpipe fits and functions as described and intended.

If you look at the various threads Daemonslayer has posted in the "MR2 product Reviews", he clearly cannot be satisfied. THIS IS WHY WE REFUSED TO SELL HIM A PART.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I didn't even read the first thread, nor do i feel the need to.

Being in the exact same business as Prime, i know exactly how they probably feel when they see this thread. They try hard to bring you guys products that are NEEDED in this market, and try to bring them to you at an affordable price point. I'm sure the downpipes work excellent and fit properly.

Can you please post pictures of the downpipe you made yourself? Also, what did it cost to make in materials (flanges, piping, flex pipe, welding materials). And how long did it take you to make it, from start to finish? I'm just curious.

Downpipes are DEFINITELY one of the parts that customers sometimes look at as an expensive piece, while the fabricator is thinking "wow, i do not sell these for enough to warrant the amount of time spent"

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Maybe it's just how i was raised, or maybe it's because i also own my own business... but when i buy something, if i'm not happy with it for whatever reason, i contact the person/company i bought it from. I tell them why i am not satisfied, and i let them respond. If they respond nicely and are willing to help me become satisfied in some way/shape/form, then i'm happy.

To get on here and bash someone else product when you haven't even installed the thing, is harsh in my opinion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe it's just how i was raised, or maybe it's because i also own my own business... but when i buy something, if i'm not happy with it for whatever reason, i contact the person/company i bought it from. I tell them why i am not satisfied, and i let them respond. If they respond nicely and are willing to help me become satisfied in some way/shape/form, then i'm happy.

To get on here and bash someone else product when you haven't even installed the thing, is harsh in my opinion.
This... 100%.

Why you felt the need to create a second part to a thread that was closed by a moderator is beyond me. Especially when that thread was closed 9 months ago.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the thread was started to show users who have a higher quality standard than you what the issue is with those downpipes.Its obvious some people accept parts that show bad craftmanship still as a good part.Thats for you to decide.
In my opinion this part is a piece of metal junk - and that is confirmed by pms and emails i recieved even from other shops.I testfittet it last weekend and just checked the gaps to remove it again.Its not easy to make pictures while its back in there - and i guess the quality of the parts varies.Anyway the gaps on the flange on the turbo side were quiet strange - the flange itselfs seem to have bended in 2 directions - maybe from the welding heat - i cant tell.Its just to heavy to fit that part and hope the gasket will seal on it.

@ Prime - i have a high quality standard thats true - and i ordered this downpipe to see what you guys call a quality parts - just to confirm that its far lower on quality standards that what i expected.

I did never complain about parts from CRW or from TCS - and it seems for a reason.It gets even more funnier when you yourself make clear that you cant offer a quality product to international customers after all.Man thats really emberassing from my sight.

@ Ty - i understand you - but i was raised in another way.I things not only pretty from the outside but from the inside too.Thats why guys flipped when i polished my speedodrive - which sure made no sense - but its the mentality that counts not the part itself.
I contacted Prime in the past and thats covered in that other thread.

Anyway - checking my Emails i just am assured iam not the only one seeing this product recieved a cheap craftmanship.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

Just found time to finally build my own Dowpipe as i wasnt satisfied with the poor quality of the Prime "Performance"/Berk Dowpipe i recieved from Prime.

Anyway - as i digged out that piece of junk metall Prime calls a US made Downpipe i found another innteresting thing..check this out.. :bsflag:
thats not what germans call a "Performance" part..
measured across i have a gap of incredible 3mm..thats just a joke.

Just to conclude this Downpipe topic with prime for me and the community.Its a shame such parts are called hands down the best DP available.What a lie.

decide for yourself.
Couple of comments:

1. Does not look anywhere near 3mm (approx. 1/8 inch). Looks more like 1mm to me (unless your photo is off angle a lot).

2. Your are not measuring correctly the flatness of that flange. Put your straight edge (or what looks to be the end of dial calipers) across the whole flange from one side to the other, approximately across the center of the area. Then you can check completely the high spots and low spots in a proper relative fashion. (I bet the gap is almost nothing that way and is only at the very outside perimeter, which is not very important anyway at that point).

3. I bet that seals just fine, meaning the "quality" is adequate for it's intended function.

Quality and precision should not be the "best" they can be (which means ignoring cost considerations). Quality and precision should match the type and function of the product (balancing cost considerations). I (and everyone really) don't need the precision of a Swiss watch for my DP, nor do I (or anyone really) want to pay for it.

The manufacturer could flat grind the flange after assembly to insure flatness to less than 0.1mm. But it would not function any better (and just add notable cost) as that is not necessary for a good seal on a DP flange.

Looks flat enough to me and you won't know until you put it on and try it.

For your part #1: flow is so turbulent in that area, the overlap means nothing to any measurable performance gains you could expect if there was no overlap. And it was stated that the overlap with weld is stronger than no-overlap and weld. So their solution is actually of "higher quality" if it reduces the chances of the DP cracking later in that area.

edit: I should add that I am not just trolling here, I live close and have had work done by Prime Performance, so that drew my attention to this thread. I found their work and character to be outstanding when I dealt with them (only guys I will let put a wrench to my car other than myself!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts