MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently purchased the NATKO exhaust from KO racing and was wondering if there was any way to prevent rust from corroding the beautiful mufflers and the piping. I was aware of the optional cermachrome plating but I didn't want to spend the extra money. Any advice would be appreciated seeing as it's in the dead of winter here in PA ;D

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
The muffler cans are stainless. The piping should hold up pretty well so long as you keep a coat of rust inhibitive paint on them (the system was delivered with already - just check it from time to time and touch it up as needed).

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
also just keep the polished part waxed {or use polishig cream every 3-6 months} :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
stainless steel wont rust, so its not really an issue :) the wax will burn off pretty much instantly.
SS steel is not invincible like everyone seems to think. It's resistant to corrosion but you still need to take care of it.

If you drive during the winter where salt is put on the road make sure to rinse the exhaust (and underside of car) off frequently. A good polish every once in a while is good too.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
MR2000GTE said:
SS steel is not invincible like everyone seems to think. It's resistant to corrosion but you still need to take care of it.

If you drive during the winter where salt is put on the road make sure to rinse the exhaust (and underside of car) off frequently. A good polish every once in a while is good too.
Stainless will not rust. What you are talking about is the road grime. If you want to keep the shine of course you are going to have to wash and polish it. Like Tom said the was will burn off once the mufflers get to running temp.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
SS will corrode - it gets a fine white powder on it kind of like Aluminum when it corrodes. Nothing nearly as cancerous as rust, but you do want to care for the stainless to keep corrosion at bay.

S

·
0 Posts
^^ true.. listen do Hawkins he is a genius,... did I make any errors there? Stainless Steel wont ever rust because its not metallic or does it not have iron in it? i cant remember,.... but it will corrode, why I have no clue ask Mr. Hawkins im sure he will know.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
im not saying hit it with a hammer and let it cake with S' for years.. everything needs cleaning and care.. im just saying, its not going to rust out like mild untreated steel does (ie: almost the instant water touches it). stainless has really really good weather resistance, it'll take the beating and will just clean off.. but like everything, it needs care.. just less care than most things.

S

·
0 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
im not saying hit it with a hammer and let it cake with S' for years.. everything needs cleaning and care.. im just saying, its not going to rust out like mild untreated steel does (ie: almost the instant water touches it). stainless has really really good weather resistance, it'll take the beating and will just clean off.. but like everything, it needs care.. just less care than most things.
^^^ yea i did that with my 1,2,3 block i made,. pretty amazing how fast untreated metal will rust..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THanks for the help guys, sorry kind of forgot I posted this thread :p but yeah in my area they haven't even salted down the roads once this year and it hasn't snowed so hopefully it'll stay that way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts