MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
davegt27 said:
what size wheels would you guys recommend and what back spacing for a killer DP MK1
Yep. 13x7 and 4" backspace is pretty much the ticket.

That's what these are.

And I have a set of 13x7, 4" backspace Kiesers (9 lbs) for sale.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
how much you want for them?
i might want some

i went to an autocross Sunday to watch a friends son (the first time in 7 years)

seeing the cool prepared and mod cars is getting me motivated

[email protected]
Davegt27

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
$300 for the set, plus shipping.

One of them has a leak at the seam. That's caused by a tire buster getting into the sealant with a tire spoon. Its an easy fix but I haven't bothered to do it yet.

Its the set that was on the car when I bought it. I think they are ugly and I really don't need six sets of wheels. I bought the Panasports above last fall and another set of Revolutions last month.

Here is a pic of the car at the '07 Nationals with the Kiesers on it:

-Steve

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Your right they are ugly

I will pass, I seem to remember a diff backspacing but cant find my notes

My car is headed for the road race tracks with a stop off in solo II to test everything

I was hoping you guys would recommend nice trick wheels

Davegt27

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
13x7s are pretty much old school. I don't know of anybody making anything ultra-new/trick these days. The Kiesers are the lightest out there. At $300 they are going to be as cheap as you are likely to find.

I can promise you, 4" in the proper backspace.

-Steve

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
XHead said:
13x7s are pretty much old school. I don't know of anybody making anything ultra-new/trick these days. The Kiesers are the lightest out there. At $300 they are going to be as cheap as you are likely to find.

-Steve
The 'JDM' crowd has 13x7 - 4" backspace (0 to -1mm offset) wheels with weight comparable to Panasport 3pc wheels. Longchamp, SSR, Work and even some old school TRD wheels come up occasionally: watch club4ag.com, drifting.com, drift411.com for used wheels. Just look out for curb rash/rim dents as we all know how drifters create those. :rolleyes:

SSR is still making some of 'classic' wheels for the Japanese market: I know upgrademotoring.com has 3PC SSR MKI, MKII, MKIII wheels, for about $1600, with a lead time of about 4-6 weeks:
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/ssr/index.htm

(I called them, as I am planning on getting a set: I have a certain affinity for Japanese Nostalgic Cars :thumbup )

Alternatively, Aero, Diamond, and various other circle track companies make steel 13# wheels in the correct size, bolt pattern, and back space for about $100/wheel shipped to your door.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
XHead said:

-Steve
hey thanks for the info hope i did not come across wrong

thanks
David

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
verno-dub said:
I wish I could use my SSR MKII 13x9s in DP. :(
You can use them, you just take a 75# weight penalty.

OH, and I demand picture of said wheels on said car. :p

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
davegt27 said:
hey thanks for the info hope i did not come across wrong
Naah, don't worry about it. I don't always assume that somebody is flaming just because they question something.

I have looked VERY closely at the wheel offset issue. If there was a way to get more backspace than 4", I would have it.

I am soooo offended that you think my wheels are ugly. I mean, its OK for me to say they're ugly, but you have no right. ;)

Surely they aren't too ugly to use for a few test/shakedown autocrosses? I was hoping somebody here would buy them.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
mtbmr2 said:

Oh yeah, you can run them, with the penalty. That also lets you run the 255/40-13 A6 instead of the cantilever slick if you want too.

-Steve

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
XHead said:
Surely they aren't too ugly to use for a few test/shakedown autocrosses? I was hoping somebody here would buy them.

-Steve
It is tempting; I may contact you next week about them.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
mtbmr2 said:

Its funny, Steve is talking about 4in being the perfect backspace for 7" wheels, but these 9''s have a 4in backspace as well and that equates to what I think is -26mm, haha. I dont think i can use them. Let me go run out and snap a pic with my phone so you can get an idea what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
XHead said:
Oh yeah, you can run them, with the penalty. That also lets you run the 255/40-13 A6 instead of the cantilever slick if you want too.

-Steve
This is why I bought them, plus they are uber light. Too bad the offset is mental.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The thing about backspace is, it doesn't matter what the "offset" is. For a 13x7" wheel, running a 9.5" cantilever slick, 4" is the max backspace.

If you are going to run an 8 or 9 inch wide wheel with DOT radials on them, you can use more backspace because you don't have to accomodate the cantilever sidewall.

You can probably run 5" of backspace with the DOT radial.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
What?s the track I looked and looked but could not find it in the Solo rule book?

I have Revolutions off my Opel right now and its one of the few rims that fit over the larger brake disk setup

What rims do most people use? Seems the choice for 13's are pretty limited
I called circle racing and the rims listed on wheel weight.net haven?t been made for 4 years

Davegt27

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
mtbmr2 said:
I have 13x7, 4" backspace, Diamond Racing Wheels. Shipped to my door was $386. I'm looking into lighter options. (On that note Steve, I emailed you)

More progress: http://www.pbase.com/mtb_zack/dpmr2&page=11
Do you have the 87 and later brakes?

I was trying to avoid the heavy circle track wheels

The SCCA road race class both EP and FP have the MR2 Track width at 60.3"

Thanks for any info
Davegt27

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
davegt27 said:
Do you have the 87 and later brakes?

I was trying to avoid the heavy circle track wheels

The SCCA road race class both EP and FP have the MR2 Track width at 60.3"

Thanks for any info
Davegt27
My first chassis had 87+ brakes: http://www.pbase.com/mtb_zack/image/98010326

The DRW's I have are 13# each. In 13x7 wheels you have two choices: cheap, 13# steelies, or $200/wheel light wheels.

I'm curious, why does the track width matter? Solo rules for Prepared Class don't regulate track width. (In SOLO the penalty for a wide car is time lost on course having to turn further in slaloms.

81 - 100 of 363 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.