MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is definitely an increase in people BUILDING MR2's for the Prepared classes. XHead (Steve) has his car running, and competing. The rest of us, well, we just aren't getting them out to National Tours, or Nationals.

And admittedly, I'm not one really to talk. So here is our support group to kick, cajole, and convince each other to get some Prepared cars done and racing. :smile:

Here is the DP class roll:
verno-dub: where is your build thread?
zipty842: http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=330735
myself: http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=227103

And the only fully ready to go car:
XHead: http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=320185

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I just got a pair of moderately used V710's for my ASP car last night. Should get me through a bunch of events this year, interesting to compare them to the Azenis I was gonna use. Unfortunately they're not staggered, 225's all around, but hopefully that shouldn't matter cuz I'm basically still putting out stock power levels.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Cool idea. Perhaps we can motivate some others. I remember Zack had posted quite a few photos somewhere.

-Steve

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The 'problem' with Prepared classes tends to lie in the image (not totally undeserved) of being crazy purpose built race cars, hugely expensive, and completely unreliable. Granted a tow vehicle and trailer does weigh in here too.

That is one reason I was attracted to DP: the starting cars are dead reliable, plentiful, and cheap. The second reason is I grew up around small displacement British "sports cars" (Triumphs) so I appreciate the preachings of Colin Chapman. And finally, my good friend is the head of the PAC, a DP racer, and really good at convincing people to join him: so the class here is growing.

[EDIT: I forgot the MKI can easily be moved into FP or XP with engine swaps, so if the rulesets change the chassis is not a complete write off]

Yes, I do have a bunch of pictures: http://www.pbase.com/mtb_zack/dpmr2 And lately I have been adding to them nightly

-Zack

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't really have a build thread per se, more like a random bunch of posts buying stock body parts and installing them. Lots of factors still to decide if I get the 3" dp and exhaust yet, we'll see. Now that I have the 15" race tires and the Azenis, I might keep that rim set for autox duty and buy a 16 or 17" set of rims for the street. Not sure. I got RS*R race springs to install but not until I find some Koni inserts. Also looking into a ST front swaybar, we'll see about that too I guess. As it stands, the car is gonna run with just the bigger wheels and tires, everything else is just speculation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I plan on getting into a 85/86 DP build for this comming winter, but for now its getting my 88 t-top up to sts specs.

mtbmr2 check your PM's

·
Registered
389 Posts
mtbmr2 said:
The 'problem' with Prepared classes tends to lie in the image (not totally undeserved) of being crazy purpose built race cars, hugely expensive, and completely unreliable. Granted a tow vehicle and trailer does weigh in here too.

so far I've spent... exactly what I was gonna spend to do my suspension in CSP trim. :smile:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ive got pics taken but no thread yet as im still messing around with my CSP car right now. I swear every tweek is making it faster and faster in the corners as really showing how underpowered the factory 4age is. BTW, I couldnt believe that my 87 hard top, full interior car tipped the scales at 2215 lbs with a 1/2 of fuel.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
mtbmr2 said:
Well, the tow vehicle perception is just that. The majority of National competitors tow their cars to event regardless of catagory.

We all know that perception is reality for many. The image comes from CP, the most visible of the prepared classes. Reality is somewhat different. I have built a National Championship winning DSP car and spent more money on it than I did the DP car. The expense comes in having to work around a restrictive rules set. In prepared, you pretty much do whatever you need to to make the car fast.

In comparing SP to P, it seems like you have to do everything the hard way in SP where in P, its easy.

The payoff of a Prepared car is driving it. They are so much fun. :thumbup

-Steve

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Having tow vehicle is something of piece of mind: should something happen to the competition car, you have a way to get home.

Definitely building a Prepared (or even SP) car is more commitment. And it might cost more, but the good news is that the rulesets for prepared evolve more slowly. Allowing a P-class car to be a long term build.

(MODS this might be sticky worthy as there are 3 people demonstrating different building/tuning methods for prepared cars, and 1 person with extensive experience helping)

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My green car has been stripped of all useable parts, and is scheduled for a date with the scrapper. My red car needs the steering rack arms and tie rods replaced, and the brakes bled.

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The green car has a date with the recycle yard, tomorrow.

And the red car is now driveable on its own power, with brakes!
My to do list for this weekend -
#1 - the exhaust
#2 - the drivers seat
#3 - stripping the interior

Outside of that progress I'm working on bumpsteer solutions, and possibly the T3 RCA's. This thread is helpful:
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=242675&page=3&pp=30&highlight=bump+steer

Anyone got any pictures/ideas on how they cured their bump steer?

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Started on #3. Although, this time I only got back $1.67 from the car in lost change.

The lack of rust in the floorboards, the interior quality (can you say expense recoup?!) and the hardtop make this all worth it though!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
MKI available

Not mine but if someone is looking for a MKI, there is an IT car on Craigslist.
Link

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Damn Zack, cancer? Very sorry to hear that. I hope the treatment is going well. Its a good thing that you feel good enough to work on the car.

-Steve

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, it is a reoccurence from thyroid cancer I had in 2004. The side effects from treatment are minimal; the hardest part is avoiding contact with people for 3-4 days, and then avoiding prolonged/close contact for another week.

Like I said, it gives you a defensible excuse to spend hours in the garage

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Fortunate that the side effects are what they are.

So what are you doing on the computer? Get out there and get to work ;)

-Steve

1 - 20 of 363 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.