MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a swap right now and would like to polish my turbo while I already have it off the car. My question is what precautions should I take while doing this? I know all of the metal dust created from polishing cant be good for the turbo, but how do I avoid it causing any damage?

Here is a picture of what I am going for.....

Thanks,
Nick

·
3,519 Posts
That has got to be some sort of chrome plating. I do not know of a way to "polish" the heat shield or compressor housing to make it that shiney. My guess would be take the parts off that you wanted to "chrome" and send off to be done. Just incase you needed another compressor housing I know there is a guy in the for sale forum selling a compressor housing for like $5 + shipping. Would be great for a test.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
i would imagine that anyone polishing the turbo housing would have to disassemble the thing before they proceeded. i don't know because i've never done it (or had it done), but it would make sense to me. it would have to be thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You can indeed achieve that sort of finish with patience and attention to detail (and a few hand tools).

Minimally you'll need a way to smooth the casting -- I use red scotchbrite roloks on a air die-grinder to knock the casting down. When the casting is down to just the scratches from the red scotchbrite, then I move to the blue scotchbrite roloks and smooth it until the coarser scratches are gone. Then I start to wetsand with 320grit sand paper. I wet sand it until all the sctochbrite scratches are gone. Then I move to 600 grit and wetsand until those scratches are gone. At this point, you will be ready to buff, but if you've actually properly completed the previous steps, there will be a nice smooth finish that has extremely fine 600 grit scratches ONLY, and nothing coarser. Smooth motions when sanding and using the roloks will yield in a flatter surface at this point. You will need 2 different buffs, a "tight" buff like the Dico 40 and a soft buff like the Dico 36. With the tight buff, use Tripoli polishing compound to get the inital polishing done. Some good pressure and heat will make a nice finish. Then clean off all the tripoli residue, and then polish with the #36 buff and white rouge. This will be the final buffing and "coloring" of the metal. Only use soft flanel cloths for polishing. Everything you need should be available at your local harware stores or online. Ace seems to have the brands I like best, but YMMV.

http://www.koracing.net/img/ChrisBAllPolished4.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.