MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Turbo with a JDM '93 swap
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m doing a coolant flush before winter, I ordered what I thought was correct (Toyota pink) but turns out it’s supposed to be red.
I find mixed results on what I should/shouldn’t be using. A lot of people agree that pink is okay to replace for red, and is backwards compatible.
System will be completely flushed so will only be this specific coolant.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Much to everyone's belief the colour of coolant doesn't make a difference. The chemical compound of the mixture is what matters rather than dye used. If you are going to flush clean then there is less of a chance that the different compounds will react. The 3sgte isn't a modern engine that requires OAT or Borat free so in theory any coolant will work if starting from scratch. Main thing is that you do flush entire system and continue to use what was put in. Can you list the spec on fluid here?

jimb

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much to everyone's belief the colour of coolant doesn't make a difference. The chemical compound of the mixture is what matters rather than dye used. If you are going to flush clean then there is less of a chance that the different compounds will react. The 3sgte isn't a modern engine that requires OAT or Borat free so in theory any coolant will work if starting from scratch. Main thing is that you do flush entire system and continue to use what was put in. Can you list the spec on fluid here?

jimb
Genuine Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant is a new generation ethylene glycol based coolant which is pre-diluted 50:50 with de-ionized water for freeze protection to -34°F.
  • Non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite and non-borate coolant formulated with long-life hybrid organic acid technology.
  • Specifically formulated for Toyota engines for a service life beyond the range of conventional coolants.
  • Excellent resistance to corrosion.
  • Designed for optimum performance to 100,000 miles.
  • 6 x 1 gal. case.

I can post the back of the bottle when I get home

I found this on Reddit: There's a MAJOR difference between the two aside from color. Pink (SLLC) is pre diluted with distilled water, not standard water. SLLC is HOAT (hybrid organic acid) where as Red (LLC) is OAT (organic acid). They are backwards compatible only (for top off only), meaning you can add SLLC to a LLC system but can't add LLC to a SLLC system. Technically speaking "Go with what the car originally used", all Toyota models prior to 1999 would use Green since LLC came out that year. Green antifreeze contain silicates which are known to plug up coolant passages, where as LLC contains ZERO silicates. Since LLC is is silicate free, it's a recommendation to convert from green to red on older model Toyotas even with brass radiators.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

jimb
View attachment 77437

·
Registered
24 Posts
I worked for Toyota for 20 years. In 2004 with the exception of the Corolla and Sienna, all models switched to SLLC. Previous model years used the RED LLC. You can use the SLLC in vehicles that used LLC but you can not use LLC in vehicles that call for SLLC. The Toyota service intervals for LLC are every 30K and for SLLC the first service is called for at 100K and every 50K afterwards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I worked for Toyota for 20 years. In 2004 with the exception of the Corolla and Sienna, all models switched to SLLC. Previous model years used the RED LLC. You can use the SLLC in vehicles that used LLC but you can not use LLC in vehicles that call for SLLC. The Toyota service intervals for LLC are every 30K and for SLLC the first service is called for at 100K and every 50K afterwards.
Ended up returning the pink and going for red. It was cheaper for 2 gal concentrate than it was for 4 gal 50/50 pink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts