MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the forum. I've had a 2002 MR2 spyder, 55,000, for a little over a year. When I told my mechanic what I bought, he told me he never wanted it in his shop. Then he told me no shortage of horror stories from valve seals to precats. The precats are what really scared me. I'm not a mechanic so I'm just asking... Is it legal to remove the old exhaust and install an eastern Catalytic 40849 ECO, and would that have new - updated precats built in? The car's in incredible shape, but I'm afraid to drive it.

Advice?

Jack

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
As far as I know the only legal way to remove a catalytic converter is to remove one that has failed, and replace it with a new one. That said, for the most part nobody is going to check to see if the one you removed had in fact failed *yet*, and as long as you replace it with a suitable replacement, you are certainly following the spirit of the law, if not the exact letter. As for if that particular replacement is updated, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The MR-S has 3 cats in total--2 on the header (pre-cats) and the mid-pipe (main cat).

As far as emissions go, you can pass emissions testing if you removed the 2 pre-cats and kept the mid pipe (main cat).

The MR-S is notorious for pre-cat issues which will kill the motor. It has been said that the issue was addressed late 02+ / 03+ models. I'd suggest you remove the pre-cats (hammer and screw driver). Do this is an open environment and wear a mask!

Magna-Flow offers replacement pre-cats and main cat. Both of which are 50 state legal I believe. Check their website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts