MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start this off by making a terrible admission for an "avid tuner guy" and more embarrassingly, engineer: i've never so much as seen the ECU maps of my MR2. I've had it for three years now, took it on a roadtrip from boston to north MI, with wife and mastiff, been in a minor accident (that is a real TRD body kit in the picture, and it was healed by masters in the art from the mild deformation i put it through), overhauled suspension and chassis bracing/dynamics, put a good 50K on it at least; but never once connected a laptop to it and attempted to pull the maps - the original tune is that good. This isn't my first gen3, and i've been blessed to have had my mitts on quite a few SW20 steering devices in my lifetime - never drove anything quite this well sorted from an engine/ECU perspective before (bear in mind, built motor, which prolly means last guy blew it up - who builds a gen3?).
Given that my other pet project right now is a four digit mothra killer being set up for hot-lapping, i've been learning and re-learning a lot about ECU/TCU operating semantics, tuning strategies, benefits and drawbacks, all that good jazz. Helps that to have an epic tuner/builder team (RAB tuning/Go Auto) working on the car who tolerate my need to comprehend all the things. With the MR2, i'm not quite as lucky, and i'm finding more and more that the way this car was set up is somewhat of a lost art. The PowerFC setup requires special gear, software, and from what all the tuners i work with (different ones for different platforms, i may have a bit of a "car problem"), special people who know both the powerfc system of that generation, and its application to this motor/turbo/injector setup. Basically, i'm being told i need the person who did it originally or an expert with broad experience who knows how to work with the impedences, trims, etc associated with my hardware, and comp for the fact that i have a built motor with 272/264 cams (IIRC).
Does anyone else have a setup like this? Anyone know of 3SGTE tuner sages with PowerFC credentials? Preferably in new england? :) I dont necessarily need to change things, nor want to, but i would like to understand the inner workings and get some data logging going between the engine and EDFCAs to see how my right foot, boost levels, and corner-load match up over a road course - those three numbers together should be useful for adjustment purposes and double as a bravery/stupidity meter. My daily driver actually does give me that information, and it goes a long way toward inspiring acts of confidence even if butt-feel indicates a higher level of load on the tires than what's actually happening due to inertia/compression/other things which resolve over short periods of time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can put a PowerFC commander on it, which gives some limited usefulness. Datalogit was popular back... 15 years ago or so, but doubt it's easy to find or worth the price/headache to get a computer to interface with it.

IMO, a PowerFC is pretty outdated at this point. I'm not sure I'd spend too much money on it. If you don't have a Commander on it now, you'd probably need that before someone will even touch it, and even then, it's a pain to tune with just a Commander.

Thought about going to a more modern standalone? I posted how to wire up an AEM Infinity to a 3S-GTE in this forum recently. It's a much more modern standalone, and you can get as much or at little data as you want out of it while you drive, or when reviewing a log after driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I had a Commander and FC Datalogit in my R.I.P. 7th gen Celica 2zzge.The datalogit is the device 2nd from left. I was able to use a cheap serial to usb adapter to easily connect to a modern (2017)laptop. However if I was looking at engine management now I would probably go Link G+.

Hope this helps everyone, click on the first link above, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I know very little about powerFC, but isn’t the commander the only way to make adjustments to the map/settings? Have you reached out to ATS racing, Josh w/ Chico Race, or KO Racing about powerFC? I believe they used to support this device.

Did I miss why you want to view and/or start to make changes to your powerFC?

I am running 272I/264E cams. I’m willing to share my Aem series 1 map after I dyno tune it in the next month or two

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, there is a commander panel attached to the back firewall (rear trunk inner wall), though i've not screwed with it
The intent is less to mess with anything and more to understand what its doing and when. If i were to start mucking about, i'd pray my tuner knows these cars, and if not, find a qualified one around here, then use whatever standalone they prefer - perfectly happy to make small adjustments myself, but map limits and dealing with driveability concerns is for the professionals IMO. Currently i have the wideband gauge and boost controller to tell me whats going on, but i dont have histograms - ideally i'd like to map the suspension sensors against the engine data so i can derive behavior in corners :).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The commander is the only way to interface with the pfc - it's a black device like.. smaller than a gameboy with a little LCD. It's in the shape of a T (it's the black thing Power FC - Electronics). It can work as a full standalone although is uh.. classic jdm at this point and you need the same things you need for any standalone to get the full benefit. datalogit, wideband, sensors (boost, temp, egt, knock, etc.) Perfectly capable still but not going to do anything cool like flex fuel or dbw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts