MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my powersteering relay was dead, so ordered a new one from rouge systems, fitted it, it didnt fix the problem, same symptoms, so the relay was fine in the first place.

Checked www.mr2-tech.com and found out how to check for fault codes,

I wasnt getting a warning light and the power steering turns on and off, i checked the fault code and it came out as 21 according to this its because the P/S fluid is getting too hot, which indicates that the P/S motor or the P/S ecu is nackered....

(btw, my battery is good and the fluid is topped up, it is definatley the motor or ecu)

Is there any way to repair the motor ? i see you can put new bushes in the motor would this fix it or would it be better to replace the whole thing ?

Damn cars..

J

O

·
0 Posts
I have had the problem before, but faulty relay was problem. Pardon my ignorance , but why would the ECU be suspect in this instance? Hope it's not the motor....about 900usd(ouch)! Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the same situation I had code 31 so I replaced the relay and brushes. Once I put the new brushes the p/s code 31 went away and the p/s light blinks normal status but while driving I have no p/s and the darn p/s light is still on.

Now I'm trying to get a p/s motor to see if it's the motor it self.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
olddude, I can get a second hand p/s motor for ?80 ($160ish) so thats not really a problem, i can only guess that if the p/s ecu was faulty it could be sending the wrong signals causing the motor to run when is houldnt, causing excess heating in the fluid ?

Think i should try changing the motor instead of changing the brushes ?

i will get it second hand thoughas Toyota prices are mega ????? over here !

J

O

·
0 Posts
beer and blwn,

Do you guys have manual, vol.2? According to manual there are several things you should check before you go to expense of replacing motor (apparently bad motor not common). First thing is to be sure there is no air
in the hydraulic sys. Next, to evaluate if the control valve in the steering housing is functioning properly....per manual, if c/v is prob there may be a difference in power assist when turning s/wheel right or left. Then, on to checking if motor works by connecting motor terms to battery (be sure you do this exactly by manual!). And, checking circuit continuity at many places.

Sorry I don't have very much experience with this stuff so can't tell you exactly what to do or check. What I'm getting at above though is that you
should be able to follow a sequence of diagnostics outlined in the manual and pinpoint where problem is rather than guessing-spending-guessing-spending etc. Hope that helps. Good luck. od

1 - 6 of 6 Posts