MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am looking for things that people have polished in there engine, i have done a little bit but kinda want to see what others are doing, just get a little motivation to finish

heres mind

valve cover is about half finished and the spark plug holder is finished...

i have a bit more since these pics but nothing major...
so lets see yours
HALF AND HALF! BEFORE I FINISHED IT

INTAKE MAINFOLD AS WELL AS OTHER THINGS FINISHED

·
Premium Member
13,141 Posts
thats one clean engine bay you got there... Looks awsome.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
WoW, nice and clean N/A. Do you use a machine to polish those parts? Or you send out to get his done. Do you mind to tell me what machine do you use?
Thanks
JDMR2TT

·
Registered
688 Posts
Those firewall heatshields look amazing! They're not chromed?

Here's some of my polished stuff:

Polished Apexi BOV

Polished CT20b vs. stock CT20b

Polished CT20b with chromed heatshield

Polished valve cover vs. stock valve cover

Got loads more polished items left... now to find some time to install them all :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
^ ditto!

Those are NICE! How'd you polish them like that? What products/materials needed?
Write-up pleaaase!

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
here are a few pics of mine. I did all of the polishing my self. Most of the sanding was done by hand. Polishing was done with a dremel type tool and an electric drill with a polishing wheel was used on the big surfaces.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice 100 hours of work or so???
i just started my intake manifold today, hopefully i will be finished by tomorow :)
martin= still looking great!!:D what else do you have planned?

·
5,126 Posts
tred said:
nice 100 hours of work or so???
i just started my intake manifold today, hopefully i will be finished by tomorow :)
martin= still looking great!!:D what else do you have planned?

I still have to polish the alternator and starter. After that i need to start polishing clamps and bolts. lol.

I may also re-paint the lower section of the intercooler a flat black to match the black plastic parts in the engine bay.

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
BAMAXXX said:
martin i have a st205 w/a also what did u use to polish it, and what was the process
I only polished the top part. It was smooth from the factory, so didn't take as much time as lets say the intake manifold.

First i used a paint stripper to get the black paint off. On the top surface, there is a big sticker, that has to come off. You will see the sticker edges on the top corners of the intercooler. I water sanded it with 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. After that i went with the metal polish. I used a drill and a dremel tool to apply the polish...

This is the polish that i used. I went with the green ( medium) and blue (fine) grade.

Martin

·
Registered
254 Posts
**newbie question..
what engine is that Martin? It doesn't look like a 4ag, what's the polished boxy thing on the top of the valve covers?

also, is there any places that metal polish shouldn't be applied to? just so I know which parts I shouldn't polish :p

and yeah, damn it looks shiny!!

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, im finished with my intake manifold, i will post pics lator tonight.... looks awsome for only having 600 grit papper and about 8 hours of work:)

·
5,126 Posts
saiko said:
**newbie question..
what engine is that Martin? It doesn't look like a 4ag, what's the polished boxy thing on the top of the valve covers?

also, is there any places that metal polish shouldn't be applied to? just so I know which parts I shouldn't polish :p

and yeah, damn it looks shiny!!
It's a 3SGTE motor swap. The motor is from a 98 ST205 Celica GT4 (255hp) and the tranny is a 97 MR2 T (lsd). The boxy thing on top is the factory water 2 air intercooler that came on the 94-99 ST205 celica.

As for polish in the engine bay, i don't see any metal that i wouldn't want to polish. I mean you won't polish the engine block, that would be pushing it. Just make sure you take the alternator apart if you are going to polish that.

You don't want anything to get inside the electonics.

I don't run an AFM, but that would be something nice to polish. Haven't seen those polished yet. Expect to spend about a 100 hours to get you where i got on mine. Very time consuming, but rewarding in the end.

Martin

1 - 20 of 58 Posts