MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
To memorialize this for future reference, the two main chips on your board are 97CW42AF-3361 and 97CU42AF-2454. These are both made by Toshiba. From other sources I have gathered that these are in the TLCS-900 family. Some tools for programming these chips are listed in Wikipedia. They cannot be re-flashed.

PS. One chip runs the engine, the other runs the transmission. This is same setup as 1UZ vvti. Someone is making attempt at cracking those. Might have some bearing to St246 ecu at some point.

Where do you get this info?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Excellent info! I'm going to look into those 1uz ECUS getting cracked and try to keep tabs on the progress. I have a lot of research to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This ECU doesn't use CAN. Just OBD2 without the CAN H and CAN L pins.
That's too bad. I'm wanting to pull data from the ECU for a digital dash I'm working on and the protocol over OBD2 is really too slow for it. I guess just one more reason to go aftermarket ecu.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
That's too bad. I'm wanting to pull data from the ECU for a digital dash I'm working on and the protocol over OBD2 is really too slow for it. I guess just one more reason to go aftermarket ecu.
Unfortunately the ST246 Caldina didn't quite have a CAN setup in the car. Just a bit too old.
At least you can pull data from the ECU with the OBD2. I'm struggling to even connect anything to the GEN4 but I think my Bluetooth adapter is wrong.

An aftermarket ECU would be a nice addition but I understand that costs of buying it, wiring it in and tuning it add up quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately the ST246 Caldina didn't quite have a CAN setup in the car. Just a bit too old.
At least you can pull data from the ECU with the OBD2. I'm struggling to even connect anything to the GEN4 but I think my Bluetooth adapter is wrong.

An aftermarket ECU would be a nice addition but I understand that costs of buying it, wiring it in and tuning it add up quickly.
Yeah OBD2 is a bit too slow for me, especially with tach and speed.

however, I just realized the dash box I’ve got has a tach input to it and I think I can get speed into it also. Hmm.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Yeah OBD2 is a bit too slow for me, especially with tach and speed.

however, I just realized the dash box I’ve got has a tach input to it and I think I can get speed into it also. Hmm.
Yes you could tap into the Tach signal from the ECU and the speed signal from the gearbox/gauge cluster. Both wires are where they need to be for your digital dash unless you have a mechanical speed sensor. Then you need to do a little more work but it's still possible. If you take the speedo gauge out there is no longer an electronic signal being created if that's the case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you could tap into the Tach signal from the ECU and the speed signal from the gearbox/gauge cluster. Both wires are where they need to be for your digital dash unless you have a mechanical speed sensor. Then you need to do a little more work but it's still possible. If you take the speedo gauge out there is no longer an electronic signal being created if that's the case.
I converted mine to electronic speedo. While I k is the signals are there, the trick is getting them into the digital dash and translated properly to use. I’ll have to see if the dash box can take the input from the speedometer signal and translate it properly
here’s what I’ve got so far. Unfortunately there are no panels that I can find that would be exactly proper size that could be used. I wanted to keep the two larger dials their original shape but that will likely not be possible. I do have an idea for the indicator lights that hopefully will work.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Car

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
I'm sure it will be easy to translate. I understand it is 4 pulses per revolution. I'm sure the dash has an adjustment/calibration feature. If it doesn't it's not a very good unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure it will be easy to translate. I understand it is 4 pulses per revolution. I'm sure the dash has an adjustment/calibration feature. If it doesn't it's not a very good unit.
It’s going to custom built and programmed. Lol

speaking of, you mentioned 4 pulses per revolution, do you know what the voltage is.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
I know the input voltage is 12V for the sensor. I'm not sure how you upgraded to electronic in the past but normally I would wire it into the Black w/Yellow wire in plug EB1 (small white plug in the engine bay fuse box).

41 - 52 of 52 Posts