MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 163 Posts
Discussion starter · #144 ·
have you ever seen a small block?
not sitting in an engine bay, but out and in person?
loom at the nose. tell me where you are going to fit all that stuff hanging off the front of the block and still have the package fit.
You then have the issues of what transaxle to use... but the best thing to do is search the V8 forum. that way you don't take my transaxle thread off topic :)

The chances of the HOnda axle fitting the F40 and MR2 hubs, I think, are slim to none.

Not sure if its the right length yet, I havn't been able to work on my project since last week.

Did you have in mind some kind of hybrid axle, part F40, and part honda?

I am not sure what you have in mind for using those fancy $1700 axles. That photo is strange. One of the hub flanges has a 4 bolt pattern for the lug studs, and the other one is 5 lug. Those inner joints are unusal too, they are not tripod, and they are not cross-groove. They can't be Rzeppa, as Rzeppa cannot plunge. Weird.

My current plan is to use MR2 axle shaft, and outer CV joint. I will re-spline the inner end of that axle shaft to fit the Tripod of the F40. I will be tossing the MR2 inner turbo CV's (which are cross groove), and these are a known weak spot anyway, so it works out nicely. I talked to someone at Chico, or maybe it was ATS. He said the outer MR2 rzeppa joint is very very strong.

Also, I haven't checked yet to see if that jackshaft you have is going to be long enough. It sure is short, but I bet lengthening it would not be hard. Well, in your case, you are using a Mk1, so I am not sure what your track is since you are using Mk2 hubs.

In your situation, you might try getting Saab axles, and just use the inner tripod joints, and toss the rest. Or, possibly, you might be able to work with the Saab axle shafts (which I think might be hollow), in which case, lengthening or shortening would be easy. They have to be resplined to fit the MR2 outer CV.

______
CBulen

Project MV8R: Sign up for the build manual

Discussion starter · #148 ·
I was thinking more inline of getting stock Type-R axles, cutting them in half to fit then welding a tube in the middle to make it the correct size. Then have a new axle shaft made using the correct splines for the honda ends using the spliced axle as a template. Hell, if I use the correct material it may even be as good.
I am going to order up a set and see if there is a good fit. They are only ~$50 each new on ebay.

Discussion starter · #150 ·
I don't really want to cut up my one and only set of turbo axles. though my turbo engine is going in my ST165. Those were hard to get. and they are totally rebuilt with only a few hundred miles on them.

I'll have to think about this. The Saab axles are all going for around $200 each used on ebay.
We have a fairly large population of Saabs locally as we are a college town. Maybe I need to try and his a few of the local pick and pulls.

Well, the inner Tripod CV is sure to fit the F40 on the Driver side, so you will at least have that much.

As for the other side, since you have an intermediate shaft, you could try to adapt any axle to fit that.

You might try taking your F40 to the yard with you, and test fit various axles. I would also take a turbo axle with you to compare that outer joint end, externa spline (the one that goes into the hub). The length of that shaft has to be the same, as well as all the diameters and lengths of the shoulders of the outer part of the Rzeppa shell (like where the ABS ring goes). The chances of these all just happening to be the same as the MR2 are pretty slim.

If you have a turbo hub, then you can test that too. Are there any yards near you with the honda and integra axles?

HOnestly, I think it might be a waste of time/money. Even if its only $50, that's $50 you could put towards axles that will for sure fit the F40, like Saab, and axles that will for sure fit the MR2 hubs, like a set of used MR2 turbo axles. I paid around $200 for mine off the board (I had to go get them though--2 hour drive, but got to see/visit/stay with friends)

The way to use the Honda axles would be to get the whole knuckle from the honda as well, but then you gotta adapt it to fit the MR2 Lower control arm, the strut, the brake lines, and somehow, the e-brake.

If you go with Saab/G6 axles, Joseph on the Fiero forums says resplining is about $100-115 per axle. If you re-spline MR2 turbo axles to fit the Saab tripod, its a done deal. Thats only two splines. I still have to figure out my G6 jackshaft--I think it might be too long. You could go cheap, and use MR2 the whole way on the right side, and jsut have the MR2 jackshaft machined/splined to fit the F40. Might be weird to have a Tripod on the left, and a Cross-groove on the right, but I don't think it will cause any vibration etc, as everything is CV. Of course, that right side cross-groove is known to be weak, so a pair of ATS or Chico joints are ($300? or $500?), and you end up with an extra.

I just need to check into axle length, which is next on my list, to make sure the turbo axles have enough length to re-spline --not sure yet if they need to be shorter or longer or no change in length.

BTW, Joseph suggested something about using Chrysler LHS axles. Did you find those in the catalog? He said they had the right spline count. Possilby, they are also long axles or maybe one side is longer than the other (no jackshaft).

Discussion starter · #152 · (Edited)
On the mounts.
look at the following mounts on the AWD F40 as used on the Saab 9-5/9-3

Rear mount is perfect and the top transaxle mount can bolt to the chassis with some mods. Unfortunately we are missing one boss on top of the FWD transaxle.
But one could be welded on.

Attachments

GREAT FIND BILL! Where the heck did you find those pix?

Really interesting to see the differenced between the AWD F40 and our 2wd versions. I notice additional external webbing on the AWD version.

The G6 mounts I have are radically different than those. With G6 mounts, the rubber donut is part of the mounts that bolt onto the sides of the tranny. I don't think I will be using the rear G6 mount, but the front one I might use. I will post pix later. Gotta get ready for superbowl party at my house today.

Your last thumbnail doesn't click to anywhere.

Discussion starter · #154 ·
hmmm. i dont know why it wont open.

I found them on ebay.
I am going to see about getting those mounts from our local Saab dealer, Aimee has a cousin that works at a Saab / Volver joint. so maybe I can get some at a discount.

Discussion starter · #155 ·
Northstar with 4T80E - 34" (864mm)
Northstar with F40 - 34 1/2" (876mm)
That is measuring without the crank nose / pulleys. onlu the block face. Front block cover and gasket will add about 3/8"

Its in my F40 word document info. I think I got this info from the guy that did the F40 swap into his Grand Am

Here is a quote

Clutch Master Cylinder
The end that plugs into the slave cylinder is not available separate from the master Cylinder assembly. Fortunately, I found that other years and models of GM cars shared the same slave cylinder, and consequently, the end that plugs into the slave Cyl can be obtained for a different car. (See cars listed below, 2.2L with a manual 5-speed).
OLDSMOBILE ALERO (2000 - 2004)
PONTIAC GRAND AM (2000 - 2004)
Rockauto has this pretty cheap. YOu have to buy the whole thing. I haven't reached the point where I was going to figure out how to splice it to the stock MR2 clutch line, but I think it just needs a little creative plumbing.

I think it is:
Dorman pn CM640069, $42.79 from Rock Auto

but you might want to check the Grand Am 6 speed thread

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212

Things are changing.

A few months ago, you could not find a clutch kit or any related parts for the 2006 Pontiac G6 at RockAuto. Now you can

2006 PONTIAC G6 GTP 3.9L 3880cc 237cid V6 FI (1) : Clutch : Clutch Kit Price Core
SACHS Part # K7043501
OD: 11; Size ID: 1; TEETH: 23T $272.79
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
They also have this listed, and I am not sure how its different than the Grand Am / Alero version.

2006 PONTIAC G6 GTP 3.9L 3880cc 237cid V6 FI (1) : Clutch : Clutch Master Cylinder Price Core Total
SACHS Part # SH5344 $80.79
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
Not sure if this master cylinder includes the rest of the plumbing like the Grand Am/Alero version.

Discussion starter · #159 ·
well the Hondah axles wont work.

The knuckle side is the correct spline count, but the spline shape is off. Both use the same spline count and the correct diameter. The issue is that both the honda axle and the MR2 hub use the same shape, like a mirror image, and that is what you don't want.

Honda axle hub side.

MK2 MR2 hub spline

The transmission side is also a no go. It is the correct diameter and will fit, problem is the nose is not long enough to engage the intermediate shaft splines or the transaxle splines

would have been nice if one of the new ex-honda owners had spoken up, but then maybe they would not have known because of the bolt-in nature of those cars. No worry, I clean them up and try and resell them on ebay.

I am guessing I have to spend the big bucks for the proper Saab axles now and just have them cut down to fit.
The honda ones were not very thick either, they would probably have twisted from the torque of the V8 starter

Discussion starter · #160 ·
Guy on ebay wants $525 shipped for 2 axles, bearing and jack shaft.
No freaking way am I paying that much. That should buy a brand new set!
These images are not mine. They are from an ebay sale.

Saab Part Numbers
Saab 9-3 sports sedan manual transmission axle assy. that will fit model years '03-05
Drivers side axle 12 786 415

Saab 9-3 sports sedan manual transmission axle assy. that will fit model years '03-05.
Included with this assy. is your intermediate shaft, inner and outer joints and the bearing housing. The part numbers are as follows:

Passenger side axle assembly 12 786 415
intermediate shaft 91 86 588
bearing housing 12 788 651

141 - 160 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.