MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the plumley mod spoiler. I would pay someone to mod a spoiler I have. Interested??

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i would do it. but i think bill merton said it best when he said it would be very expensive. i've done the mod twice now and the 2nd time i actually did a mod or two to the mod. i currently have 2 'extra' spoilers sitting at the moment.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am actually somewhat interested in making a mold for the the plumley spoiler, so I could build them from scratch. Trouble is I wouldn't use one myself. Maybe I should do it anyway?

·
Original
10,788 Posts
i would love to mod my 89 led spoiler, but i still what the led brake light to work, how do i go about rewiring the spoiler so that the brake light will still work? do i have to cut open the spoiler to re-route the wiring?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I had someone do it for me. Although he said he would not do another one so I do not know what to tell you. But it does look VERY good. :)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
toymdngn said:
i would love to mod my 89 led spoiler, but i still what the led brake light to work, how do i go about rewiring the spoiler so that the brake light will still work? do i have to cut open the spoiler to re-route the wiring?
When you remove the center stanchion, you'll have to extend the wiring. After the ends are cut, you can push the wiring down through the ends to the passenger side. Finally, when you move the spoiler back, you're going to have an unused hole under the spoiler. Measure and drill a hole in the base of the spoiler to route your wire down and into the trunk. Use a rubber grommet to keep the wire from vibrating and rubbing the insulation off. Now drill a small hole in the raised cross bracing in the trunk lid and you should be able to push it outfrom under the cross bracing and making your connection that way.

And yeah...after I did my first spoiler, I did another '89 spoiler and sold it on eBay for $300. Then I did another for EHolmes.

It's not bad if the spoilers are sourced locally but it takes a while to do and you'll not make much money doing them for other people...especially if they're mailing you their spoiler and have to pay shipping both ways.

Packing a spoiler properly is a pain, too. Follow Bill Strong's link and DIY. If you have NO skill, whatsoever, take the printout from Bill's link and ask any body shop what it'll run you.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
SenorCuervoAW11 said:
I am just curious, does the modded spoiler flex under high speeds? I thought that was the reason why the center stanchion was there.
Don't know...I'm always too busy paying attention to my driving to watch the rear spoiler. :smile:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I jut was asking, because I recently found a pristine spoiler from the local junkyard, and was thinking of doing this mod to it. I was considering the option of not taking the center stanchion off, but actually figuring a way to extend it for stability purposes.

Of course, if it is not going to flex, then there is no need to keep it on there. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
as for flexing, yes. i consider it mostly a 'warble'. it does so at high speeds. i did a center stanchion...i had someone look back and notice the lack of warble while i drove. i mean, it still does a little dance, but i did some serious internal bracing and didn't notice as much flex with my second variant. i built my 2nd one like a surfboard.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i removed the center stanchion and put some tape over it (yes, ghetto). i didnt complete the plumley mod, but i never had any problems at all without the center piece.. it looks MUCH better without the center..

if you're terribly concerned about wobblies, you could fill the spoiler with high density structural foam of a light weight.. i dont think its really an issue tho.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i havent done that ...yet, but i did the front body mod, sure looks cool:)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
i removed the center stanchion and put some tape over it (yes, ghetto). i didnt complete the plumley mod, but i never had any problems at all without the center piece.. it looks MUCH better without the center..

if you're terribly concerned about wobblies, you could fill the spoiler with high density structural foam of a light weight.. i dont think its really an issue tho.
i find that the fact that you state that even with an unfinished Plumley mod your spoiler doesn't flex. i mean, no foam or fibreglass there?!?!? i'm calling BS on this one! :bsflag:
you must not be reaching any speeds above 'normal' city driving speeds (read: 45mph>) even the sides will flex under the duress placed upon the spoiler and eventually crack the fibreglass if it's not properly done. hell, one that is properly done will crack eventually. i've seen it. that's why i made changes on the second evolution of my spoiler.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
SenorCuervoAW11,

There is an example of an extended stock spoiler on page 2 & 3 here:
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/mr2_mki
Look for a silver car with a black spoiler, pictures swjc, swje, and swjg.
IMHO the spoiler is a little out of proportion for the car. It reminds me of the
Mustang and Porsche whale tail spoiler. I have seen another car that continues the
extension following the original spoiler contours.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ron, that's not the Plumley mod (silver car w/black spoiler, engine lid open). The Plumley mod moves the spoiler back on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
ToyotaTechGeek said:
i find that the fact that you state that even with an unfinished Plumley mod your spoiler doesn't flex. i mean, no foa or fibreglass there?!?!? i'm calling BS on this one! :bsflag:
you must not be reaching any speeds above 'normal' city driving speeds (read: 45mph>) even the sides will flex under the duress placed upon the spoiler and eventually crack the fibreglass if it's not properly done. hell, one that is properly done will crack eventually. i've seen it. that's why i made changes on the second evolution of my spoiler.
it doesnt flex enough to crack in my case.. its been about 3 years now and im pretty sure it hasnt cracked.. even after my friend sat right in the middle and gave it a pretty mean flex. lu owns the car now and is on the board, if he sees this im sure he'll attest to it holding up. ive been triple digits with the spoiler as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just did what TomsMr2 did to his spoiler.
It holds quite well.
I drive up to 110mph without any problems.

Though I would not let anyone try to sit in the middle of it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts