MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so here is quick back story..... I was recently hit head on by a sheriff police car, and now the county is debating on totaling my car. I need to have a good value of the car to bring to them for what it's worth. So here are the details and some pictures.

1988 super red mr2, 5spd man, 182,000 miles, clean title

Outside

Stock exterior, super red paint, a few small dings and scratches overall paint quality 7.5-8 of 10

does have some paint wear down on the font lip on the right hand side (see pictures)

No rust what so ever

debadged

Inside

Leather package, but has been swapped with cloth seats (I have the leather ones as well, in great shape just prefer cloth)

Power windows/locks, A/C (working and cold) all interior pieces in place, and overall very clean inside

T tops have original seal, and have no leaks what so ever (and I live in oregon!!)

Now the mod list:

small port 165hp version GZE with 15,000 miles
sc14 s/c
Cusco (real) pulley
hks air intake
kbd header
hks exhaust
264 cams
Venom fuel pump
trd clutch
trd short shifter
jdm clear front lenses
high and tight poly suspension bushings
tokico illumnia struts
ground control coilovers
Sylvania Xenarc HID headlights
spearco A/W intercooler (not installed currently)
Fluidyne 3in lightning heat exchanger (not installed currently)
auto meter guages
obx steering wheel
15in tsw blades, along with 2 sets of stock teardrop s/c wheels
spare e51 tranny in good condition
spare set of axles
spare set of struts
other misc spares (interior pieces, seats, throttle cables, stock pulleys etc.)

I'm sure i'm missing out on a few things but that's majority of it

All in all the car is in great condition, runs and drives excellent, and has no leaking issues, or running issues (thanks to the o2 being replaced now haha)

car ran a 13.966 on full weight pump gas as well

Now for Pics
This interior pic is the only one I have of it, and it has not been cleaned at all!! (and no stealing my guage placement... I'm the only one I've ever seen with them in the dash)

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
$6000.
Check the magazine racks for old car/classic car mags. I have seen a few that had prices for older imports. Their prices were much higher than KBB/NADA guides.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very nice, I just purchased a good conditioned 1988 MR2 with ae101 4agze (170hp) with some minimal rust for $6500 canadian($5667 USD). If I were to buy your car, I would probably give you $6000. But then finding a good conditioned supercharged one in Canada can be very pricey. I'd still say around $6000 USD for your car, especially with some of the mods you listed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
was it your fault? if it wasnt then just explain to the insurance company that no amount of money is acceptable for it. tell them its your classic sports car that you have cared for and it is priceless to you and you want it fixed immideatly

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chrono said:
was it your fault? if it wasnt then just explain to the insurance company that no amount of money is acceptable for it. tell them its your classic sports car that you have cared for and it is priceless to you and you want it fixed immideatly
No it wasn't my fault, and in all fairness the county has been very nice to me. I'm not the type of person to try and milk a situation, but if it doesn't get fixed, I will want to buy another mr2 s/c and in as nice condition as mine is... so I gotta know how much to ask for to be able to spend on the next one if they don't fix it.

josh

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
in no way am i saying milk the situation but to be fair it is very hard to find anymore nice mk1s. your best bet would be to repair your current one. think of it 18 year old sports car that was rare to begin with. everyone that has a good condition one doesnt want to sell it because they love it (thats why its in good condition) the people that are selling them dont care about it so its most likely been beaten on

post up some pics of the damage maybe then we can see how bad it really is

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Chrono said:
in no way am i saying milk the situation but to be fair it is very hard to find anymore nice mk1s. your best bet would be to repair your current one. think of it 18 year old sports car that was rare to begin with. everyone that has a good condition one doesnt want to sell it because they love it (thats why its in good condition) the people that are selling them dont care about it so its most likely been beaten on

post up some pics of the damage maybe then we can see how bad it really is
the damage is pretty bad.... so I'll warn you now

Cop car will be in here too

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Wow! thats pretty bad.. I have a red 89SC I may be selling soon, it has no rust at all and decent paint (has been repainted and isnt the best, but isnt bad) very straight chassis, cleanest interior I've seen, black cloth interior, smells new, seats are still firm, no cracks anywhere.. Its currently sitting w/o engine or trans but I was planning on putting a stock GZE in it and selling it in the next few months.. If you'd be interested in it as a replacement chassis, let me know..

Brando

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
$5500-7000. You had a lot of goodies on it worth probably more than the car could be sold for, and without rust, yet higher mileage, it balances out to that IMO.

I think the cop car would have a few more dents if I was hit and not at fault... and I probably would not be here typing if that'd happened to me.

BRANDO0o0O, you have all the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
tarmactrr the damage may seem bad but it is still repairable. when my car was hit basicly the front end of my car was ripped off (got hit by a 5 series BMW going 45MPH) one of my dads friends hooked me up and fixed the car for $1600 ($600 for a used half clip of a 88 mr2 and the rest into labor) you probably wont get that kind of deal but for around 6000-7000 i say just take the insurance money and try and get it repaired yourself but that is only if they total out your car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't mean to take advantage of your bad luck, but if it does come to pass that parts from you car become available, I'd like to be contacted regarding them. Here's hoping for your best outcome. Depending on how much emotional attachment you have to the car....I think you'd come out well rebuilding it...Best Regards...

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jared said:
you sir, are an idiot.
Thank you!! Everybody, I will be the first to say that the cop was quick to admit fault, and they have been very nice about this. I'm a realist and understand stuff happens sometimes, and when your a cop responding to a possible fatal scene, you might rush it, I know I would if I was a cop that's for sure. Just bad luck and everything, so rather than bashing the cops on here, how bout we stick to reasonable estimates, and advise on what to do (total or fix.)

To everybody who has chimed in already I appreciate it, and so does my Mr2!!

Josh

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tas02 said:
I hope that you weren't injured too badly in the wreck. My condolences to you.
I managed to come out unhurt, with nothing more than a sore neck for a couple days..... I will say this, I've been very impressed by the impact the little mr2 can withstand, and for such a small car, it has held up very well. Now also I was lucky to hit a cop CAR, and not a cop SUV or else I might not have done so well!!

Josh

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
j3ff said:
o man that really suxs :( ur mk1 was the frst one i fell in love with :(
ahh thanks man, I'm glad to know somebody else liked the car other than me. Hopefully this won't be the end for the mr2, but just time for more improvements

Josh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts