MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I posted a related question on another member's post earlier today. I just joined so I am getting use to the site and apologize for being redundant. I have had my 1991 Toyota MR2 nonturbo in the shop since November of last year. it needed a new engine and the mechanic noticed that a couple synchros need to be replaced - 3rd and 5th gear. I have the engine ready to go. However, the mechanic cannot find these parts and I cannot find the synchros anywhere online (ebay, parts stores). I've contacted several Toyota dealerships too but they can't provide the part or any guidance. I've been looking for over 2 months and was hoping someone on here could help me out?

The part number is 33368-17020 (and I need two of them because apparently it's the same part for both 3rd and 5th gear sychros). I'd be very grateful for any guidance and very much appreciate your time. Thank you - Alex

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
33368-17020 comes up as "Discontinued". Toyota only stocks parts for the upgraded 93+ E153 at this point, for the most part. Maybe try the suggestion above .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may have to order a gear set to get them I rebuilt my trans a couple years ago and that was an option call your Toyota dealer and explain your issue the should be able to help
That is a good idea. Apparently (and luckily) there is a fellow MR2 enthusiast who works at our local Toyota dealership. One of their mechanics told us about him and said that he is on vacation but returning tomorrow. I will ask him if this would work. Thank you for taking the time to reply and I really appreciate the advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
33368-17020 comes up as "Discontinued". Toyota only stocks parts for the upgraded 93+ E153 at this point, for the most part. Maybe try the suggestion above .
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your help. I am following up with Toyota tomorrow morning about whether I can just order the gear set. Thanks again

·
Registered
536 Posts
Honestly I would price a e153 gear set and see if you can swap it over or just use an e153 transmission. I understand wanting to rebuild yours but the e153 new maybe your best bet and it's an amazing transmission that holds value and probably last you 15 to 20 years. If I new about buying a new e153 years ago I would have done it. You can order it and get it with an lsd. This may cause you to change and upgrade other parts but I look at it as in how much am I paying how long will it last and what can I resell it for if I ever decide I want to part with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts