MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey there ,
just wondering if anyone can even do this on an mr2?

if so, what would be the sizes, widths, offsets to achieve this?

thanks!

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
what's your budget?
racing hart, work, or ssr (assuming they don't disappear) are likely your best bets.
~$2500 for wheels only from one of those makers to get something resembling the photochop.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
you can get close...

still looking into running with the work vs-xx or volk winning-sf's

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont mind spending the money but i need to find the correct offsets and sizes
to achieve the best fitting PLUS deepest lip

let me know if anyone has any suggestions
thanks again guys

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
well, what wheel do you like?
are your rear fenders rolled?
are you willing to run outside the fender a little with stretched tires?

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
~2.5in in hte rear little bit larger if you count the 2ed little extention (whats closest to the tire)

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
thanks, approx 65mm lip.
the work vs-xx in your width/offset would have an ~89mm lip ..... about an 1" more, almost 1/3 more which visually would be tons.
alex cho's sp1's at 18x10 +37 had a 72mm lip for another reference.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i want it flush with the body line.
basically , something that looks very clean and normal, not making it look like a monster truck.

im looing at the volk gram light 57pro

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
with the 57pro, and 18x9 +38 (3mm tuck) has a 67mm lip. going to a custom ordered 9.5 +41 (flush) will get you to ~76mm lip.

in comparison, a work meister s1 2 piece will give you an 85mm lip (approx 2/3" bigger than the 57pro), same as the last wheels on jdmr2's car before he sold it. available in more colors than gram lights, afaik.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you are referring to the 3mm tuck, i would imagine the fender having to be rolled?

also, would the camber in the back be a bit off because it has to tuck in?

as for the work s1, where would i be able to purchase these rims for a good price?
and what offset was needed for this rim?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
I'd bet rishie at autornd.com can get them.
gruppe-s.com (a board sponsor) is a work dealer as well, iirc.

the suspension travels inward as it goes up so running a 255/35 18 on an 18x9.5 shouldn't require "extra" camber. I would probably go with max within the factory spec though. If you want a safer offset or width or both because you want to use wider tires or because you'd prefer more clearance to more lip, just let me know.

since you wanted to get something similar to the fotochop, I'm recommending max lips which require flush fitting wheels (unlike the pic which appears to have a 5 to 10mm tuck, but it isn't real ....... ).

for the work meister s1 2 piece, I'd suggest 18x7.5 +32 A Disk (51mm lip) with a 215/35 18 in front assuming you have a big kit or are planning to get one (border is an example of a front that is big because of the way it flares out on the sides, tom's is not big, imo). If no kit then 17x7 +25 A Disk (57mm lip) with 205/40 17 or 215/40 17.
For the back, 18x9.5 +41 O Disk (85mm lip) with 255/35 18 assuming you like the look of the tires on mono's wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have the toms kit on my car.
i think ill go with a safer setup, i dont want my wheels being too much wider than the tires themselves.

what does it mean when you mention O disk and A disk?

thanks allot for the help!
really appreciate it

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aren't the ssr professor sp1 similar to the work s1 rims?
but i did read ssr is filing for bankruptcy so im guessing those would not be an option anymore?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
yup, I wouldn't be special ordering any prof's right now. ;)

since you want a safer setup, I'd go with the 17x7 +25 A disk front that I mentioned above and an 18x9 +38 (83mm lip) would be more conservative for the rear if you don't want to stretch tries as much. If you want to step up in tire size on the rear but be more conservative about rubbing/rolling, just raise the offset on the 9.5 up to +45 (4mm less lip) which will allow 275's without rubbing after rolls according to a couple or three users on the board using an 18x9.5 +45 with 275's.

for the gram lights:
17x7 +25 front Face A (36mm lip)
18x9 +38 rear Face C (67mm lip)

disk types are basically just slightly different styles of the same wheel that have more/less spoke curvature for brake clearance and/or more/less lip. the O disk from work is a lower brake clearance, more lip version of wheels while the A disk has more brake clearance and less lip (for a given width & offset). Rays calls them face types, A, B, & C. A has most brake clearance, C has most lip.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts