MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my car's AFM is shot and I was looking for alternatives to fix my problems ( I still am! ). Anyway I bought a HKS VPC for $250.00 from a R32 GTR Skyline and the 3SGTE harness & ROM for a $130.00. I've searched the forums for information on the HKS VPC but everything I get are technical specs, battles between VPC against EMS ( Believe me if I had the money, there would already be a HYDRA Nemesis in my car ) and how to run 550cc injector using the VPC. For now I want to keep my car as stock as posible. Now can people tell me what was there experience using the HKS VPC? How does the car feel? Please tell me the Pros & Cons I mean everything! Help will be very much apreciated ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
the vpc is old...you may need to call up hks to find your solution...

if you want an alternative...i have a full greddy emanage ultimate with harness for sale for 550$+ship

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HKS VPC users please help!

Well guys I basically don't want to spend 150-300 on a used AFM that could die on me anytime. So I want to take that variable out of the equation, plus getting like 10 or 8 horses more seems kinda nice. I don't know if I can turn up the boost a little more because the car is running in safe mode right now I had codes 24, 31, 54 I already fixed the knock sensor by getting the ATS GM knock sensor and I also got a new air temp sensor. I only need to fix the AFM. After doing that I want to safely turn up the boost to 15psi.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
AFM's generally don't "DIE", unless you unscrew the screws on the electrical connector.

You won't get more than about 3RWHP from the VPC over an AFM, if that, (unless you use it to remove fuel, which risks broken ring lands) and throttle response and transitions are not as good as with the AFM. The VPC is designed to measure the airflow into the engine using speed/density, and then mimic the AFM's performance at those airflows. It does a decent job at the first, but not so well at the second.

Ken

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for my ignorance. But when I bought the car it was almost useless and I've been trying to get it to stock form the AFM was tampered with plus the AFM I'm using right now was pulled out from a 3SGE motor no one has touched the screws on the connector. The thing was that the top of the AFM was busted up the reason for it's failure could be due to the fact that moisture screwed it up or something else. And thanks a lot for the feedback man you actually made me reconsider buying another AFM and ditching the VPC for now...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I do have one, and I like it. I think that if you are going to buy one, you should consider the extra $100 or so for a GCC so you can do some useful tuning with it.
As for its advantage over the afm. I was able to make 200 rwhp with no boost controller, with primary cat still in place and a cat back system (b-)pipe. In other words stock motor with an intake, VPC and cat back exhaust made 200 rwhp. Thats more than 3 hp. On the other hand later dyno runs with and without a VPC showed less of an advantage on a bigger turbo. I would buy one for $200-350 if I had another MR2. If I needed an AFM I would strongly consider it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts