MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an 88 MR2 and it has some rot on the rear passenger wheel well. Are parts for body easy to come by and what else should I be looking for? I’m going to look at it today or tomorrow

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
Nothing is easy to come by anymore. Your only chance of coming upon new body parts is if you find them frozen into a glacier. :lol2:

The body would be repairable if it can be patched with new steel plate. Be careful about rust from the inside out. Some of the main body parts, such as the sill tubes, may have been made with recycled steel, and 30 years is just about the life span. I had two 86 MR2s, and they both died after 30 years when the sill tubes rusted out to the rear suspension mounts. There were places where the undercoating was still intact, with no metal under it. :scared:

If you can get a good body and you are willing to deal with finding parts, it is a really fun car. I personally am done with the mk1 model just because of the parts situation, since every repair was a crisis and I can't deal with a car as a hobby anymore. I have a mk3 spyder now and am not looking back. Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts