MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would write a little thread as a concise one does not seem to show up in the search anymore. If your air bag light is on and you are looking to reset the codes, this is how.

First get two long wires you can put in the diagnostic port to ground out ports AB and TC. If you touch them together it will flash the codes with the Air bag light, we are looking to ground each port individually.
Insert wires and find a good grounding spot, I used the strut mount bolt.
Figure out how to see the air bag light from the rear of the car where you will be standing, I propped the engine lid barely open and looked through the rear window, hard with tint, but it worked.
Turn the key to the on position but do not start.
Now ground the TC wire until the air bag light flashes twice
Tap the AB ground then the TC ground then the AB ground then the TC ground
Pause a second
Tap the AB ground then the TC ground then the AB ground then tap and hold the TC ground until the air bag light begins to quickly flash.
Unground TC an the light should go off, you are finished.

In theory you should be able to hold the TC wire to ground before the pause I inserted, but the way the BGB reads you should have to repeat the process at least twice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not any longer...just a more complete explaination. if you just tap them it will not go away. the holing to ground is important
 

·
MK. II RACING
Joined
·
4,335 Posts

·
pew! pew!
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
does having the airbag light on causes deployment failure by chance? Now, super noob questions but AB=Air Bag? and TC=?.

These are all located where? I tripped my light like dumb ass. I installed the corolla wheel then it was crooked to the right (different teeth from what I understand) so had to correct it. When I did, left the AB detached and there goes the light. IDIOT!

Help please oh wise ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
anbu_yoshi said:
does having the airbag light on causes deployment failure by chance? Now, super noob questions but AB=Air Bag? and TC=?.

These are all located where? I tripped my light like dumb ass. I installed the corolla wheel then it was crooked to the right (different teeth from what I understand) so had to correct it. When I did, left the AB detached and there goes the light. IDIOT!

Help please oh wise ones.
AB and TC are in the diagnostic connector near your cruise control.

1st picture in this website: http://mr2.noegruts.com/engine/engine.htm



I do not think it causes deployment by accident. It is just a warning light notifying that air bags are not working (thats what i believe, i might be wrong). I had my air bags lights on for a long while and my airbags did not deploy yet.
 

·
pew! pew!
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
Cjung said:
AB and TC are in the diagnostic connector near your cruise control.

1st picture in this website: http://mr2.noegruts.com/engine/engine.htm



I do not think it causes deployment by accident. It is just a warning light notifying that air bags are not working (thats what i believe, i might be wrong). I had my air bags lights on for a long while and my airbags did not deploy yet.
Thank you sir! looking at the photo and re-reading the first post, it makes sense now. Should be easy with a little common sense.

I wasnt wondering if it would deploy by accident, but if it WONT deploy since they code means its not working.
 

·
pew! pew!
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
JLee said:
Is there a way to determine why the light is on in the first place? Mine has been on ever since I had the car.
Supposedly something tripped the airbag ecu. From what I understand, most commonly the battery was hooked up while the airbag was removed. I've read a few cases where the AB has deployed and the ecu and sensors were never changed. IIRC one it deploys, all AB sensors and ecu are bad.
 

·
I <3 E85
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
anbu_yoshi said:
Supposedly something tripped the airbag ecu. From what I understand, most commonly the battery was hooked up while the airbag was removed. I've read a few cases where the AB has deployed and the ecu and sensors were never changed. IIRC one it deploys, all AB sensors and ecu are bad.
I don't think mine has deployed - I hope not, anyway, because then it was in a more serious accident in a previous life than I expected.. :p

If I reset it and the light doesn't come back on, is it safe to assume everything is ok?
 

·
pew! pew!
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
JLee said:
I don't think mine has deployed - I hope not, anyway, because then it was in a more serious accident in a previous life than I expected.. :p

If I reset it and the light doesn't come back on, is it safe to assume everything is ok?
Yes, if the light goes away, then your sensors should all be working and your AB hasn't deployed with THOSE current sensors.

Redstarr had this situation I believe. He replaced all his sensors after his AB deployed. He was trouble shooting in one of the corolla wheel threads I think.

plus the lights just annoying in general. I JUST had the stupid oil level sensor grounded and got all the lights off too. stupid airbag light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
mine came on when i swapped my 3rd gen 3sge in. I tried a quick try of "playing the drums" and it didnt work so i just pulled the fuse. when i get the car back, imma have another go at it. i had to pull the fuse cuz mine would stay on even if the key was out of the ignition and would drain the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,702 Posts
SlowHardtop said:
not any longer...just a more complete explaination. if you just tap them it will not go away. the holing to ground is important
Tru dat. Nowhere in the write-ups does it say this. I made the airbag light tool, and it took me about 3 hours and many curse words to figure this out on my own. I stumbled on that fact out of sheer frustration. Imagine me pressing the button as hard as I can with a rage vein popping out of my forehead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
everything else works perfectly. still have my cruise control even which ive heard isnt common when doing a swap. well, i should have the car back in a few more weeks so imma try it again with the new write up and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Tried clearing code 41 a few times over the years but never got it to work. finally broke down and built the airbagtool. still no luck. cleaned the grease off the diagnostic box connectors and discovered the was no pin for the AB connection. The red-yellow wire was missing at both ends of the loom. connected the tool at the engine bay fuse panel and cleared the code on the first try.

I wonder if this is the case for others that have trouble clearing the code
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
My airbag was deployed in an accident before i bought the car. Ofcourse with that said my airbag light is on. So when you say it makes ECU go bad could this be causing my running lights and headlights not to work as well? Im not to crafty with wiring.lol
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top