MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven my Mr2 for over 3 years without the cover under the engine. Is there any advantage to putting it on? Will it make the car slippery and increase my MPG? Or is it just a PITA to work under your car with it on.

What say you?

John

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
to keep dirt out of your engine bay so it doesn't look like this:

i had to clean and oil my filter every week. weekly. yeah.

·
Registered
628 Posts
show off the 20v.... I also have mine on the floor in my shop. I got it off a parts car due to mine not being there at all. I have yet to clean it and put it on. I'm sure it help with cool air getting back there and "flow" and its just designed to be there. Its covered in oil from the other car I have yet to take it to a do it your self car wash and clean it off there!!! lol

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
indigodk said:
Toyota knew that the alternator would have a problem with oil leaking... so they placed it there to catch the oil spill :)
You have a serious problem if your alternator is leaking oil

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Funny, mine with that panel removed looks much, MUCH cleaner than my engine bay in the car that had it on (until last night when I removed the "oil catch" as we like to call it. That rear panel on the right side seemed to do nothing other than catch oil during every oil change and regardless of if it helped keep the engine cleaner or not, my engine bay on the car that hasn't ever had one since I've owned it is much cleaner than mine I ran it on for about two years now.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am with the 70% of people who had no idea there was supposed to be a cover there. Maybe I will look for one at the junk yard.

·
I LOVE GOLD!
1,939 Posts
indigodk said:
Toyota knew that the alternator would have a problem with oil leaking... so they placed it there to catch the oil spill :)

Keeps water spray(when it rains) from killing the idler pulley.

TM

·
Registered
263 Posts
How many covers do you guys have under the car?
2 Under the fuel tank and 1 on the right side of the engine bay ('under' the engine)?

When I looked under the 2, it looked like there should be another cover on the left side of the engine bay ('under' the tranny)...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I don't have any under engine covers... but then again, the car never drives on wet roads :p

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
nawww just showing that it doesn't necessarilly get dirty.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the last 3 years I've run without the under engine cover. That is about 45,000 miles. Engine compartment gets gritty dirty and the air filter is (was) horrible and when I cleaned it, I swear that it cost me 2 or 3 MPG. I have cleaned it before but not often.

I will clean up the engine compartment now that I have the cover on and see how fast the filth comes back. By looking at it, it looks like it would block air flow.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts