MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n girls Im new to this forum but I just got my 91 Mr. 2 turbo. I have been driving it around for about a week and it started to smoke a lot through the exhaust. To make long story short I basically fired piston # 2(I did a compression test) n 3, 4 are about to go too. I have been doin some research to build my block n my head. Wiseco are one of the best aftermarket pistons I have found n Crower for rods. If anyone could give me some advices on what to go with, that would be great. Also Im goin with lower compression to go up on boost n maybe im thinkin about spraying it too.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
CP pistons are popular with alot of engine builders. Tons of research showed me that the CPs seemed to have the fewest downsides of all the pistons. I also went with Eagle rods. Im going for 550+RWHP and revving to 8000-8500.

·
270whp on a CT26...
3,458 Posts
i have CP pistons and Eagle rods in my engine. i am very impressed by the quality of both products.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Stock rods are fine as long as you don't want rpm's higher than 8k. David Lashbrook made over 750rwhp with a 100 direct shot of nitrous on stock shot peened rods. A good set of forged pistons and rings (cp, mahle) is all you really need for a good bottom end capable of a reliable 500rwhp. I recommend the following for a good reliable budget engine rebuild capable of 500+rwhp.

1) pistons/pins/rings - CP
2) stock shot peened rods (possibly polished) - Toyota
3) New Oil pump - OEM
4) New bearings - Clevitte77, TRD, OEM
5) Engine Gasket set - OEM
6) MLS Head gasket - Cometic or HKS
7) Engine Bolts/Studs - ALL ARP
8) Camshafts - HKS
9) Good head work
10) Possible Sleeved Block (resists cracking)

This is just a long-block build for somebody on a major budget. Of course there is sooo much more you would have to do to make it complete. Such as EMS, Intake (stock extrude honed or custom), Exhaust manifold, turbo, WG, etc..... Tuning is absolutely the biggest part of making successful power. I say keep it cheap, if the bottom end is all still good (minus pistons), buy a gasket set, MLS head gasket, Pistons/rings, put it together and you have a strong bottom end. This should be capable of holding a reliable 350rwhp plus a small (50 shot) of Nitrous. That will make for over 400rwhp after nitrous. THATS FAST in a Mr2!!!

I know I left out details here and there, but it's late and I just wanted to share by brief opinion on what I feel he should do. Shooting for over 400rwhp on boost alone will cost a fortune. Add it all up, add 2000 for BS and stuff, plus dyno tuning! These things can be expensive if you get carried away. Stick with a moderate build and with what is proven.

:2cents: IMO
Brian

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Russell Dorn said:
were can I buy cp pistons? and about how much are they?
i can supply you CP pistons no problem ;) i have also supplied both of the guys who posted right above you (Po'kid and fawker)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
mister3 said:
i can supply you CP pistons no problem ;) i have also supplied both of the guys who posted right above you (Po'kid and fawker)
:thumbup Great service and shipping, too!

Although, I am starting to regreat not simply buying a short block from him. I have decided that the builder I was gonna use seems a bit too shoddy, so Im sitting here with about 2100 dollars in parts with nothing to do with them...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys? all of u been a lot of help. I finally decide to go with CP piston n Crower rods. Im sure when I start building it, I will have more questions. Also Im takin out the motor on Saturday? any advice on that? Im doin all of this at my cousin shop b/c I don?t have enough tools to dont it at home.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
KraziMike5 said:
Thanks guys? all of u been a lot of help. I finally decide to go with CP piston n Crower rods. Im sure when I start building it, I will have more questions. Also Im takin out the motor on Saturday? any advice on that? Im doin all of this at my cousin shop b/c I don?t have enough tools to dont it at home.
What exactly are you're goals? What turbo do you plan on using? How much boost? What RPM range?

Im sure the Eagles can hold anything you could throw at it?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I am currently rebuilding my engine with CP pistons and Eagle ESP connecting rods. I have heard that CP pistons are good and Eagle ESP rods are bang for bucks. For Eagle ESP rods, you might want to check www.horsepowerfreaks.com - they seem to have the best price all around. I think $330 for the complete set.

Good luck!!!
JDMR2TT

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Po' Kid said:
:thumbup Great service and shipping, too!

Although, I am starting to regreat not simply buying a short block from him. I have decided that the builder I was gonna use seems a bit too shoddy, so Im sitting here with about 2100 dollars in parts with nothing to do with them...
could sent everything back and we cn prep a block and assemble if for ya no problem =D

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
mister3 said:
I am very interested in the pistons, how much are they? what's included, and do I have to bore my block out at all?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Po' Kid said:
What exactly are you're goals? What turbo do you plan on using? How much boost? What RPM range?

Im sure the Eagles can hold anything you could throw at it?

Well my goal is to hold 400+ hp on race gas n 375+ on pump gas with no problems. Im thinkin of using a GT35R turbo, a custom manifold, with a 44mm or 46mm wastegate. Obviously Im goin to use bigger injectors ( 750cc) and ect.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
KraziMike5 said:
Well my goal is to hold 400+ hp on race gas n 375+ on pump gas with no problems. Im thinkin of using a GT35R turbo, a custom manifold, with a 44mm or 46mm wastegate. Obviously Im goin to use bigger injectors ( 750cc) and ect.
A GT35R will be able to get a whole lot more power than 400RWHP on race gas (20+ PSI). You don't need aftermarket rods for those levels with a GT35R, also. Finally, 720s will probably be too small for that goal. 800s would be the minimum I'd use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts