MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM piston rings are labeled, correct? (IE the top pison ring is labeled 1 and the second is labeled 2)

Some one told me that I might have my piston rings in the wrong order, and that the moly ring is supposed to be at the top(and not the second ring as I have) I was following the BGB though...

secondly...is it ok if a bearing protrudes slightly out of the cradle and cap, just as long as the complete the circle and match up...I questioned the machine shop guy about it and he said that it was ok...That it is apart of the crush?!? whatever that is. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have taken it to these red neck mullet people, all they do is build race motors but 95% of the stuff they do is american V8's

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
the rings should go in however the packaging says they should and it is normal for the bearing to protrude a very small amount, very small just enough to squeeze the shells against the cap and block

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right...I know that the rings come in individual bags...but I just want to confirm. So the rings are labeled on the face of the ring itself 1 being the top and 2 being the second and then you have the oil scraper rings. Right? Forget about the bags, and how they come shipped

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
what I am saying is that the literature that comes with the rings should give installation details and you should do it the way that the ring manufacturer says to regardless of what the bgb might say if there is no lit you should call the manufacturer. if they are numbered then that is how they would go, who are they made by?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are OEM....the reason why i am asking the ring questions is because I had a friend come by and he loves to open ____ and kind of jump the gun...go figure, he never asks to open things..just kind of dives right in.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they come in three bags and there is no literature that comes with it!... dude, have you done this before or not?

the oil scraper rings are the easiest to identify.... can you please just answer my question?

sorry to get pissy with you, but I have done what I can do...I just need an expert opinion

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I guess not because every set of rings I have ever messed with(all sorts of manufacturers and engines) came with detailed install instructions. I also have never used OEM rings because if you think toyota makes their own rings you are mistaken.They buy them elsewhere and jack up the price just like most of the things like this. Like I said if they are labeled 1 and 2 then that is how they go. Seems pretty obvious to me. Are you doing this or is the machine shop??? If they can't figure it out then you should probably go elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts