MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would i have any starting issues with the smaller st205 starter? It bolts on just like the sw20 starter. The connector for the wire is a little diffrent, but i made the connector fit. Anyone running a celica starter on their mr2?

Anyone know why the celica starter is smaller?

Martin

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
since the celica engine compartnent is way smaller than the mr2
i guess its done because it otherwise would hit something ???

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Byron,

lol, you're thinking like someone half your age... :thumbup lol

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i was stripping the st205 clip, it did look like it was more cramped in there, but i would think a car with the engine in the front would have more space...

Maybe it was for weight savings too? :rolleyes: It does feel noticeably lighter.... i should save here 0.5 pounds... :smile:

Martin

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Now everybody will want one if it works well. What are the year differences? The smaller one may be more efficient, or just cheaper.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
The GTE is way more packed into the ST engine bay than the SW. The hood slopes down to meet the bumper, while the SW has a nice cubic space to fit everything into.

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your right David, that's why the 3sgte motors are on an angle.....to clear the hood on st165 starting with the 3sgte in 88...than the mr2 got the motor...

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Byron said:
Now everybody will want one if it works well. What are the year differences? The smaller one may be more efficient, or just cheaper.

the starter is from 94-99 ST205 Celica GT4. Not sure if the ST185 would have the same one though. If it's only from 94+, that that will be a tough find....

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tommorow i will wash the starter and polish it. I'll post an "after" pic when done.

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed the starter today. I didn't start the car though. Still have to put back the alt. It will probably be another few weeks before i start it from it's winter nap.

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just an update, driving the car for a week now, starter works great, no issues. So if you see one for sale, grab it.

Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts