MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Do Toyo not bring in the T1R in 205/55R15 and 225/50R15 to the states? They also have a 195/55R15 which is the stock tyre size but I prefer the 205.

It seems not, searching on the Toyo USA website. Only the R888R is avalible in the sizes needed and that is useless for the street. 195 and 225.
I can still get the right ones in NZ. Very odd. However the T1R is the only performance tyre left in the SW20 15" stock size here. Once that goes we have nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I hate to admit it but I gave up on tires to fit the original 15" rims 4 years ago and went with 17" rims because they there is a greater selection of ultra performance summer tires to fit. After a ton of research and checking of fitment, I went whe Enkei 17x7s in the front and 17x8 in the rear. Then I got Michelin supersports 205/45R17s front and 235/45R17 rear. After a ton of calculations, they gave almost exactly the exact same contact patch as the OEM tires and fit perfectly. Just enough clearance in the front from the struts. They have a very slightly larger diameter and I get just under a 10% speedometer error. It reads almost dead on -10% all speeds compared to GPS readout. My initial concern about a harsher ride from the lower sidewall did not happen. These are great tires for daily use as well as good track tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for this @sinistar. I would have missed this. As much as I wanted to avoid 195s up front, it's looking like the best compromise. Time to read up on the Ventus R-S4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Do Toyo not bring in the T1R in 205/55R15 and 225/50R15 to the states? They also have a 195/55R15 which is the stock tyre size but I prefer the 205.

It seems not, searching on the Toyo USA website. Only the R888R is avalible in the sizes needed and that is useless for the street. 195 and 225.
I can still get the right ones in NZ. Very odd. However the T1R is the only performance tyre left in the SW20 15" stock size here. Once that goes we have nothing.
I don't understand why they don't just put the T1R on limited distribution here. I'll do some digging and see if I can find them here in Canada but suspect I will find nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So here are the options as I see them, in order of preference:

Toyo T1-R
F: 205/50/15
R: 225/50/15

ECSTA V720
R: 225/45/15

VENTUS R-S4
F: 195/50/15

I'm seeing the T1-R showing up on an obscure website in BC. I'm going to call and see if they are real but suspect they are just out of date.
EDIT: It was an outdated listing. Emailed a guy that ships them from the UK to see how much it would be.

The local tire shop here has the Hankook VENTUS R-S4s in stock. The Kumhos are pretty easy to get as well from the looks of it. Would appreciate any recommendations on which of the two tire and sizes you would get. Trying to get closest to find the best compromise.
Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just an FYI that I got my rev 5 15s installed with the mixed Kumho set (4X IIs in front, Asts in rear) today and so far I'm pretty happy. Nothing weird happening yet with regards to the mixed tread patterns. Very nice ride feel. Haven't had a chance to push it around some turns and curves yet though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My recommendation for a slightly more powerful car is front 15x8 225/45 and rear 15x9 245/40 tire BFG Rival and for stock power levels you'd get pretty good value out of 15x7 205/50 front and 15x8 225/45 rear also BFG Rival. This is a 200tw tire and if you want more of a daily tire you should be able to find all these sizes in the 300tw Yokohama S-drive. Personally I don't like more than 20 offset between front and back I found that with 215 front 245 rear I had too much understeer bias of course there are other factors affectig this geometry spring rate bla bla bla.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did the kumho v720 matched set, installed about an hour ago on my 93T.

Felt good on the 21 mile ride home and quite a change from the tired old Ziex set that came off. I figure this matching tread set will last a couple years at my mileage accrual rate and postpone my eventual upsize to 17s.

Looks great, felt nice and no apparent crashing over seams in the hwy... but that's probably my "new tires!! Woot!" thinking affecting my perceptions!

Came out to about 160 per tire, delivered to Hawaii so I'm not complaining too much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just did the kumho v720 matched set, installed about an hour ago on my 93T.

Felt good on the 21 mile ride home and quite a change from the tired old Ziex set that came off. I figure this matching tread set will last a couple years at my mileage accrual rate and postpone my eventual upsize to 17s.

Looks great, felt nice and no apparent crashing over seams in the hwy... but that's probably my "new tires!! Woot!" thinking affecting my perceptions!

Came out to about 160 per tire, delivered to Hawaii so I'm not complaining too much.
That's great that they are working out so far. Didn't realize you were out there in Hawaii -- nice! Would love to see your car with the new tires, if you care to share.

Here's mine from today. The rev 5 wheels were put on at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I wish I had waited till Saturday before pulling the trigger on tires. I ended up getting a really good deal on the Hankook r-s4s. with 195/50/15s in the front and 225/45/15 in the back. I've not had a chance to test grip levels outside of basic street driving and so far the grip level is impressive. The tires are reasonably loud but I don't mind. They also feel harsher and transmit all bumps/imperfections on the road. I have stock suspension so it's likely stiffer tire construction.

As to handling characteristics with the size options front/back and the potential for understeer, I didn't get near any limit to find out. Don't even know where the limit is but I know it's well beyond what I am used to so I have to take it to track and get familiar. With mostly driving on regular roads and how bad some roads are, my experience of handling dynamics will be more a function of road surface and suspension closer to the limit. I hope I have not walked into an inherently bad setup with the tires sizes. I will report back in case anyone else was wondering about these tires and size options. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
159 Posts
After experiencing more driving conditions, I've concluded my Kumho combo absolutely sucks and I'm going to exchange them for something else through Discount Tire. Just going to go with one of the other options discussed in this post already (haven't decided which yet) to have matching tread and go with a slightly lower profile with a 205/50 front and 225/45 rear mostly likely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry to hear that @sinistar. I think a 205/50 up front and 225/50 or even 225/45 in the back would be perfect. The r-s4 compound is great, the car definitely sticks but I'm not experienced enough to say more definitively if I have the right sizes, particularly up front. Do update on what you go with.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I went through a set of RS-4s, albeit in 205/50-16 and 245/40-17 sizes. They are very noisy at first, but that goes away. They are "street class" auto-x tires (200 treadware - barely) and grip well, but don't expect them to last very long if you drive aggressively or go to events. I like the RE-71Rs I replaced them with better. Better grip, stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got the Kumho V720s installed today and so far they are a vast improvement over the mixed-tread setup I had before. Again, I don't think the mixed tread was much of an issue, they were just too soft and squishy in the sidewalls. And that is not a problem at all with the V720s, which so far, are also super grippy while cornering. My only concern is how they'll perform when hitting a wet patch on the road at speed, particularly on a curve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
@sinistar glad to hear the V720s are working out. We had a couple of heavy thunderstorm downpours and I got to try the r-s4s. They did better than I expected. Of course I was not driving faster than 70 km/h (~40m/h?) on the highways. There were a couple of parts that had an inch or so of water flowing and the car did feel like it was loosing grip momentarily. Regular driving on the street the tires were fine.
Regular driving, I do think I might have messed up the sizing on the front. They are just not wide enough to give a consistent feel when pushed on a turn. I'll be hopefully doing some lapping on track this week so I will report back.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@sinistar glad to hear the V720s are working out. We had a couple of heavy thunderstorm downpours and I got to try the r-s4s. They did better than I expected. Of course I was not driving faster than 70 km/h (~40m/h?) on the highways. There were a couple of parts that had an inch or so of water flowing and the car did feel like it was loosing grip momentarily. Regular driving on the street the tires were fine.
Regular driving, I do think I might have messed up the sizing on the front. They are just not wide enough to give a consistent feel when pushed on a turn. I'll be hopefully doing some lapping on track this week so I will report back.
Your set has 195s up front, no? Weird thing is I actually experienced my first bit of snap oversteer with these tires, but I was pushing it around a corner and did let off the throttle, so not totally unexpected. But I do think they have now exposed that their limits will come far sooner than the 17" SSRs I had with S.Drive tires.

I wouldn't mind going for a drive in the rain to see how they do, but the recent storms we've been having have also had a chance of hail, and I definitely do not want to get caught in that stuff.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts