MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(In true AA style)
me: "Hi, my name is kameleon and I love JL Audio....."
everyone: "Hi kameleon.........."

Ok, now that is out of the way on to the deal. I am looking for anyone that is running any of JL Audio's evolution series components in their MKII. Preferably the 91-92 body as I have a 91T. I am planning on a carpc as the headunit, a good set of either XR or ZR components, and a single 10w3d4 for bass. I am wondering what current users of the evolution series in the MKII think about them and what are some good ones to run. I am wanting to use the stock speaker locations for now. As most JL owners know they have some of the best sound quality of any speaker I have heard. That is what I am wanting out of the speakers.... sound quality. I would like to be able to hear it with the t-tops out too.

Basically, what fits and what don't. I am mainly concerned about the tweeter location. Will the 1" tweeter fit in the 3/4" spot?

Thanks in advance for the comments and input.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I tried to put 1" tweeters in the factory spots but decided to install them in the kick panels. Now they are more equal in distance for the driver's ears. They look very cool in the MR2 kix.

For subs I installed JL audio 8" micro-subs behind both seats after tearing out the OEM sub box & storage box.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just curious.. After tearing out the oem sub box and storage box,, Which I plan on doing in the future...I also plan on installing 8" JL audio subs..I was wondering what are the exact dimensions of the sub box's that was used for behind both seats...

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I have the VR components and a 8w3. I'll let you know how it sounds in the spring. :D

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have a very similar plan as you. I will be going with a CarPC also as my headunit and run it directly into the one amp and from that amp to the other. I had flowchart of it but it was on my PC which crashed.

I planned on using the XR653-CS in the stock locations. From the sticky they should fit but who knows. I also planned on a 10W3V2 behind each seat. 500.1 to power the subs and a.... 150.2 or something for the components.

I have since put it off and I am more concerned about performance so I don't even know when I will start to do the stereo. I will have to consider new items at that time.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Same as the stereo setup I planned out a while ago but when I get around to do it I am sure something will change. Here is what I remember though

Via m10000 mobo, or else that mii12000 one that is out now
256 or 512 ddr ram
120 gb seagate hdd (initial tests with an old 20gb from my oldest pc to make sure the way it is mounted inst going to kill it)
Xenarc 7" touchscreen molded into the dash to take up the double din area
GPS "mouse" that I got off eBay. I already have this and use it on my laptop

That is what I was going to start with. Those VIA boards have onboard video and sound. Sure the sound won't be as good as a good soundcard but it might suffice for me. If I felt I wanted better quality I could always add a good soundcard later, usb or pci.

I also plan to extend 2 USB ports, headphone jack, and firewire (if the mobo has it) into the interior. My latest plan to have those ports hidden inside the ashtray. Open the lid and plug whatever in.

I'm not totally sure on how I will design the center dash piece yet because I have a GReddy TT and a HKS EVC that I also need to mount some where. If the EVC was a 1/4 din like the TT I could just mount them both in the one vent.

·
Registered
723 Posts
im starting my carpc project. i build a lot of desktop computers but i dont have any experience with carpc. i still dont know how the pc will react to bumps and stuff. i was thinkin of athlon semprons but i was calculating everything if u add video card, sound card it adds up and almost par to the via mini-itx boards. btw what powersupply are you goin with? conventional with inverter or the dc-dc power supplies? oh yeah where'd u get the Xenarc screen and would u say its worth it to buy it over the liliput?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
There are many people running PC systems in their cars. I'm sure the bumps aren't good and it will probably lead to shorter life but Im not too worried about. Just the HDD. That is why I am going to start out with an old 20gb to see how it works and if it lasts (my MR2 has an upgraded suspension also). Then when it is going good after a month or so I will switch to a 120gb.

I like the VIA because it is all built in and very small. They don't use up a lot of power either (small PSU). For a PSU, I was planning on one of those DC-DC setups. Forget the name of the company that was making them.

I didn't buy or do any of this yet. I don't have the Xenac screen. I decided to go with that over the Lilliput because it seems like a gamble with the Lilly. Some ppl get them and they work perfect and others seem to have all sorts of problems and have to go through the trouble of getting it fixed or replaced. The price difference (at the time I was looking into this stuff) wasn't very big. If you havn't yet, check out www.mp3car.com. All the info you could want about doing this.

I'm thinking that over next winter I will begin doing the stereo. It seems like things will work out that way. I'll first get all the parts and have it running on my desk then setup most of the things and later adapt it into the car. I'm looking forward to it but I would rather make the car perform better first.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
mr2azn said:
Just curious.. After tearing out the oem sub box and storage box,, Which I plan on doing in the future...I also plan on installing 8" JL audio subs..I was wondering what are the exact dimensions of the sub box's that was used for behind both seats...
It's the microsub half cylinder enclosure. It fits like a glove and I would hate to try and build one. I can send pix if you want to see what it looks like in the car. I'm still installing the speakers so i have fresh pictures.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the JL XR650CSi components in the stock locations. My car is a 93 and I understand the tweeter space is larger. I don't have nay problems fitting the speakers in the spaces. I am getting 2 8w6v2-d2 subs for custom enclosures in the stock location. I am powering the system with a JL 450/4 amp. I also have a carpc. If you need any suggestions on setting up your system, i'll do what I can to help.

-Joe

·
Registered
723 Posts
msumr282

can u tell me more about your carpc? i build a lot of computers but i am new to carpc. Ive been reading a lot at mp3car.com. What setup are you using? im torn between using the VIA EPIA or the regular miniatx mb/cpu combo. if you can email me [email protected] id appreciate it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i have xr coaxial's in the doors amplified jl 2150, there is no reason to spend the extra 100 on seperates they are the same speaker but the tweeter is fixed to the woofer
, also i am running 2 8w3 i powered by jl 2500, could not be happier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts