MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am saving up for a clip. I have the choice between a 3sge 3rd gen or a second gen 3sgte but thats a 93 so it has the good tranny and a lsd. Now how much hp does the 3rd gen 3sge come with and how many of you guys regret not saving and getting a turbo.

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
Third gen 3S-GE makes 180hp at the flywheel. If you take your time to research, you probably won't regret the decision you make in the end.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Gocasen said:
I am saving up for a clip. I have the choice between a 3sge 3rd gen or a second gen 3sgte but thats a 93 so it has the good tranny and a lsd. Now how much hp does the 3rd gen 3sge come with and how many of you guys regret not saving and getting a turbo.
I would own a 3sgte over a 3sge or 5sfe anyday but I would own a V6 over a 3sgte anyday and everyday.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I'd say if you want a turbo go with a turbo motor, if you want to stay na go with the V6. As you probibly know the turbo motor has about the most support out of all the possible engines you can stuff in a MR2.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Also with the V6 finding parts is one thing and the parts they do manufacture for the engine may not work because it isn't in the original chassis so a lot of things have to be custom or modified, anything from headers to an intake, whereas, the 3sgte has a lot more support easier to make poer and all the parts will fit with no modification or very very little but it comes with not as impressive of a torque curve as the V6 obviously. Sounds like you are having a shop do the work IMO based on your position you should either go with the 3sgte or 3sge. Now it's just whether you want NA or turbo power.

Turboing a 3sgte isn't difficult but for the price of the engine and then the turbo kit and fuel controller (preferably an EMS but not everyone can afford it) you have already surpassed the price it would cost to purchase and install a 3sgte and you would have a weaker bottom end and a head thats set-up for an NA application. The ports are different but I believe the valves are the same exact size both intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No shop touches my car. I have a local board member who will have space for me to work on my car over summer. He owns a personal shop only for his and a buddy's use. We talked about the v6 and well the wiring scares us. I was woundering about turboing the 3sge because i don't plan to leave that pee shooter on my 3sgte for long and well the 3sgte costs 1 thousand more for.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Gocasen said:
You forget upgrading a 3sgte to a bigger turbo will cost the same as adding a turbo onto the 3sge everything needs to be upgraded on the 3sgte also. With the 3sge you are just adding it on.
No you don't understand. A 3sgte you can get a larger turbo for about $500-$800 and that does not require a new manifold, downpipe, exhaust, fuel upgrades, nada nothing.

With a 3sge, you have to upgrade the fuel (injectors, pump possibly fuel rail), get a new manifold, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler and proper piping, piggy-back fuel controller or full EMS (preferred), if you go witha pggy back you would need to buy an MSD BTM to control timing under boost.....and the list goes on.

There's just more to take into account than I think you have on turboing a 3sge. Talk with shocker2 here on the boards as he has turbo'd his gen2 with a very very small GT series turbo and make about 216whp.

On a completely stock 3sgte with a manual boost controller set at 15PSI ($50), K&N or Apexi intake ($80-$100) and a better b-pipe such as the tanabe one ($80-$150) you would easily net around 220+whp. Throw on a larger turbo such as a CT20B (paid $550 for mine with only 19,000 miles on it) or a CT27 ($750 from ATS after you send you core in) and you will easily have 250whp and all you have to do is remove the old ct26 and bolt the new one on.

If you want a turbo'd motor go with the one Toyota built it will be much much more reliable and cheaper if you are already swapping engines.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Also after seeing pictures of a 3sge head and a 3sgte head there is noticeable differences between the two. The 3sge head have smaller intake ports.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot a major thing the ____astic s54 tranny. The 3sge comes with that i guess i will save get the 3sgte with the 93 lsd tranny. Also if you get a bigger turbo on a 3sgte you need to free up the rail and injectors too. Fuel is restrictive on the 3sgte also.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i totally agree with you PETC, do you want balance out of the car and you'll be happy with that balance or do you want shere power. so later when your board and want more you can get more easyily. the 3sge is a great engine if your looking for a balance tune, im an NA freak so its hard for me to say it but sadly powerwise its inferior to a 3sgte which can make power for cheaper and stay durible while making that power (as in boost).

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Gocasen said:
I forgot a major thing the ____astic s54 tranny. The 3sge comes with that i guess i will save get the 3sgte with the 93 lsd tranny. Also if you get a bigger turbo on a 3sgte you need to free up the rail and injectors too. Fuel is restrictive on the 3sgte also.
No you don't. The stock fuel componants on the 3sgte 2nd gen are rated up to 270-280RWHP the GEN3's can go way past that since they were upgraded to the 540's and the gen2's have 440's. Trust me on this I know what I am talking about.....

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
FYI:

I ran a 15.1 on 19inch rims running a stock 96 3sge gen 3 and a stock turbo runs about 14.7 in the 1/4 mile. I?m also using a mr2 turbo LSD trans. the gen 3 3SGE is fun to drive and has room for upgrades.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts