MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My MOT tester just failed my 1994 rev3 turbo on emissions.

My car has a DECAT downpipe fitted but I was under the impression it should have had a non cat test...

They told me there is nothing they can do as they just follow what their computer tells them...

Can anyone confirm if a 1994 mr2 turbo with a decat should have the NON CAT test? And if so, what can I say to them to make them realise they are wrong?

thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did the car have a cat from the factory? Most emissions laws require your car to have all factory emissions controls unless there is some sort of specific exemption.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it had a CAT from factory.
However, I thought that was irrelevant as the mr2 turbo was never sold in the UK so the MOT tester cannot test to a specific model and therefore reverts to a non cat test as per vehicle exhaust emissions Standards edition 19th. Correct me if I am wrong anyone

·
Premium Member
12,111 Posts
Tell us where you are, and what an MOT test is. I take it that you are not in the US. It would be a chilly day in hell when a US tester gave you a non-cat test just because they did not recognize your car. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha yes I’m sure the rules are different in the USA 😅

Here in the UK, if an MOT tester cannot test to a specific model of car, the requirement should revert to a non CAT test. Every car model that was officially sold in the UK is on the list. The mk2 mr2 turbo was never sold in the UK. The rules should be very straight forward and apparent to any competent MOT test center. Guess I chose a bad garage. Was just looking for confirmation from anyone in the UK.

·
2,416 Posts
MOT is an annual car road worthiness check
We have WoFs in NZ, 6 months or a year depending on age.
Can you find the MOT documents that state this? I've had a look online but I've not found where this particular part is. I did find a very long list of cars and the UK 3SGE and 3SFE MR2 does show up but the JDM GT/GT-S is not on that list as you say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See above extract from the latest vehicle exhaust emmisons standards 19th edition

my car is a 1994.

I think I am right unless anyone can say otherwise?

it just surprises me that the mot testers do not know this..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all,

My MOT tester just failed my 1994 rev3 turbo on emissions.

My car has a DECAT downpipe fitted but I was under the impression it should have had a non cat test...

They told me there is nothing they can do as they just follow what their computer tells them...

Can anyone confirm if a 1994 mr2 turbo with a decat should have the NON CAT test? And if so, what can I say to them to make them realise they are wrong?

thanks
I used rubbing alcohol in my race car years back went right thru in florida now we dont have emissions anymore my buddy had a supercharged mustang 358 monster vortech went right thru and my 355 nos. S10 pro street went right thru walgreens rubbing alcohol bunch of bottles and half v\p fuel it worked. Good luck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol made uncatted emissions meet cat emissions sniffer testing?

There’s nothing inherently about alcohol that would make a huge change to a lot of emissions parameters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts